VMware Horizon Community
lennyburns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need to replace the STANDARD Conenction server.

We need to change ALL the connection servers in our environment as they were accidentally created on 2003 64bit servers and it's posing a supportability issue for us and VMware.

We know we acn replace the replicas easilly one by one with new 32bit 2003 servers, and i am wondering if there is an established procedure for replacing the standard server that is fairly straightforward.

I have the KB article on removing a standard (replica) server, and i can execute this on the standard server, but how would I join it back to the replica group?

does another server become the master when i remove the current standard?

if so, how do I make that server standard again? (Our naming convention indicates which is a standard server)..

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The standard is just the first one that you build but honestly after you had more than one they are all replicas.   The databases are replicated to every server in the replica group so you should have no problems removing or adding anything.

0 Kudos
lennyburns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm glad to hear that, but why then is there one standard server referred to even after the pool of borkers are created?

For example are there any things that can only be done aon the Standard server?

I'm looking for things that would point to the standard serer being "more important" than the others, even after initial creation?

When i re-install the brokers, do i run the "replica" install for all of them as i roll though the replacements, one by one?

0 Kudos
Meph1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

No there is nothing on the standard server than on the replicas so you can remove it and replace it with another replica

When installing the new connection servers use replica server install. Basically all that does it tells it to connect to another of the replicas to copy the ADAM database to the local copy then keep them in sync

Cheers

Phil

VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry for not replying but I must have missed it somehow.    It looks like Phil has provided the answer and from my understand is correct.

0 Kudos
lennyburns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

This is indeed the solution, a call to vmware verified it just as you were replying with this.

I now have an article I wrote on this.

I'm sending I to vmware and will publish here soon

0 Kudos