VMware Horizon Community
dbrits
Contributor
Contributor

Need Assistance Determining Cause of Horizon Client for Mac Poor Performance Issues

I'm currently running the Horizon Client on two different devices. In both instances, I'm using the client to login to a nonpersistent VDI (hosted by my employer), then using Remote Desktop to access my workstation at my desk (in an office in which I have not set foot in over a year). Device 2 works great. I'm able to quickly connect to the VDI through the client. There's hardly any lag and it's almost like I'm using my primary workstation.

Device 1 is a completely different story. It takes noticeably longer for me to connect to the VDI and it often times out. When I am able to login, the lag is painfully apparent. Input is delayed. I'm also frequently disconnected. I've even tried using the Horizon Client in safe mode, but there was no noticeable change in performance. However, this behavior isn't consistent. My workday usually starts at 8 AM and when I attempt to login around this time, I usually encounter the aforementioned issues. If I login later in the day or after work, my performance is marginally better, but still not on par with my experience using the Horizon client on device 2.

I'd be inclined to blame my employer's network, but when I login at 8 AM using device 2, I don't have any issues whatsoever. It's not my home network, as all other devices connected to my home network are able to access the Internet without any problems. I've read the release notes for VMware Horizon Client for Mac 2103, and I didn't see anything in the known issues which applied to my situation. I'm at a complete loss about what is causing the poor performance issues on device 1.

The catch is that device 2 was issued to me by my employer, and it belongs to a specific department. I'm transferring to a new department so I will need to return device 2 to my supervisor within the next two weeks. There's a high likelihood I will need to use device 1, which is my personal device, to access my workstation after I transfer. So yeah, I'm in a time crunch to resolve this issue.

Device 1:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7-6500U
16 GB RAM
1 TB SSD (415 GB used)
VMWare Horizon Client
Version 2013, Build 8.2.0 (17759009)

Device 2:
Microsoft Surface Pro 6
Windows 10 Enterprise
1.90 Ghz Four-Core Intel Core i5-8350U
16 GB RAM
256 GB SSD (129 GB used)