VMware Horizon Community
Adam44
Contributor
Contributor

Naming guests in view 5 with full clones & sysprep

Hi there,

I am currently attempting to build a windows 7 full clone pool with view 5.  Since I have a fairly detailed sysprep.xml, I modified it for the virtual environment and have attempted to use it.

The problem is when I attempt to provision the clones they always pause and wait for a hostname to be entered (this is the intended behaviour for the sysprep.xml when building physical hosts)

What I cannot figure out is what is supposed to set the guest hostname and at what point in the provisioning process it occurs.

Does the connection server, the vcenter server or the sysprep.xml set the hostname?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to use an arbitrary sysprep.xml file in conjunction with specifying the option to use the virtual machine name in the customization specification wizard in vCenter, you would instead have to use a random name (<ComputerName>*</ComputerName>) or only use the customization options provided via that method. I believe it has already been raised as a feature request, though it can only help to add your voice to it. The feature request form can be found here: https://www.vmware.com/contact/contactus.html?department=prod_request

Mike

0 Kudos