VMware Horizon Community
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NVIDIA vib driver for VMware ESXi 5.5?

Does anyone know the possible release date for NVIDIA vib driver for VMware ESXi 5.5?

I have tried reloading the current version 304.76 for 5.1 with no luck, has anyone been able to load with ESXi 5.5?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mdailey
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like they released the vib (version 319.65) overnight for 5.5:

NVIDIA DRIVERS VMware vSphere ESXi 5.5 Driver

They also released an updated driver for 5.1, too:

NVIDIA DRIVERS VMware vSphere ESXi 5.1 Driver

Looking forward to trying these out with 5.5 to see if some of the gpu-related issues have been fixed.

0 Kudos
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update, great news at last.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jlabonte
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Have you had any luck with the new Drivers?  I am using the Nvidia GRID K2.

Maybe you or someone in here can help with my scenario  questions.

Here we go.

I downloaded them from NVidia, upgraded my 5.1 environment to 5.5.  All was looking good.  Installed the new vib.   (esxcli software vib -v ......)

Done.  xorg was happy.  Tried it in Passthrough mode... worked great.  YAY !

As a test... Had a 3D Racing game working, HD Video, Google Earth, etc..  All running at the same time.  Pretty good results.  Would never beat a real PC / GPU I get it....

Tried it in SVGA mode, meh.  Poor performance in my environment.  What am I missing?  I see the VM's using 280-310 MB or vram using the NVidia-smi.  typical?

Then, tried to tweak it to perform better, more ram, cpu, etc...  no luck.  I then tried to return to passthrough mode and all went south!  xorg stopped responding, and my NVidia module then failed to load.

What prevents the module from loading?  Therefore xorg fails....  Can someone assist with explain why this would have gone south?

When I try to load the module it gives me a  VMKernel load(NVidia) failed error.

Also, can someone also explain why, in passthrough mode, I have to disable the secondary video adapter in order for my Nvidia card to become primary?  Without doing this, my apps do not see the adapter properly, the NVidia dis[play control is not avail and says there is no adapter found.  (This all being done within the VM)  not the host.

Beuller? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

A gpu can do either vSGA or vDGA at one time. The K2 have 2 GPU:s so you can configure one for vSGA and one for vDGA.

vSGA is limited in graphics to DirectX 9.0c and OpenGL 2.1 and max 512Mb of memory, maybe this is what you are hitting. (Though its about 50x faster then CPU-rendered)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
jlabonte
Contributor
Contributor

Though I do like statistics, how does this explain the issues I am having?

As a test, I downloaded the Cisco-Custom-ISO Release date ~ Oct , 2013. Tried to install using this ESXi ISO from vmware.

This installed fine just like the rest, however, I installed the vib drivers from NVIDIA, great, the xorg was stable after reboot.

However, as soon as I put them in vDGA mode / Passthrough, rebooted and xorg fails again. Vib drivers not stable?

No word from NVIDIA. Anyone else using this?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

That is the expected behavior, since you have now put it in Pass-through you can not load any drivers for it.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
jlabonte
Contributor
Contributor

With View 5.3, in passthrough do you still need to disable the svga secondary adapter in order to get the 3D to work?

Thanks for replying.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

No, you should not need to disable any adapters to get vDGA to work.

I have notices that sometimes in the setup it does not detect the monitors correctly and you have to do a "Detect" in the monitor settings and switch to the correct monitor to get it working. You only need to do it once.

// Linjo

0 Kudos