VMware Horizon Community
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

NON-TECHNICAL - Naming Convention?

Not technical at all, just would love some ideas about naming convention people are using for their VDI Environments. We're getting ready to spinup an environment that will support up to 10,000 desktops split across 2 DCs, with 5,000 on each side typically. Our architecture calls for either side to be able to support the full 10,000 in the event a DC takes a hit.

We'll be utilizing App Volumes, UEM, Linked Clones (95%), so in a perfect world 1 golden image (yeah right). Does the name really matter in the grand scheme? Lots of people say no, but, I like the idea of our techs out in the field being able to quickly relay to us hey this is a VM named yada yada, and I can be away from my console and still no that's a VM in block x, cluster x, pool x, etc.

To start, each Side:

2 Blocks With 5 Clusters Each

Each Cluster Will Have 6 Hosts Except For Cluster 4 Which Will have 5 Hosts.

What we've come up with as a name so far is DC1B1C1P1-0001. Identifies the DC, the Block, the Cluster, the Pool, and the Desktop Number. Of course we found a flaw in this though, because long term, each cluster will have a pool unto itself, so does the P1 identified even matter?

Probably overthinking it, ha, but ah well, would love some ideas/critiques of what other people are doing perhaps in a similarly sized environment.

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sritaks
Contributor
Contributor

As per your requirement, your naming convention is fine with huge number of desktops

0 Kudos