VMware Horizon Community
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multiple sessions per user in the same pool

In the View 4.6 Administration Guide on page 107 (Pool Settings) I read: "Allow multiple sessions per user: Allow a user to connect to multiple desktops in the pool at the same time". This is what I want. However, when I enable this on the pool I can't get it to work. I get the same session reconnected, I don't get the possibility to open a second sessions with the same account to a second VM in the same pool. Is this possible, and if yes, what am I doing wrong here?

TIA,

-Poort.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can have multiple sessions to the pool but only one per physical machine unless you are using the -standalone command line switch.   Just to verify open up a session from your desktop and then go to a different physical machine and open up another session.   It should grant you a new session instead of reconnecting you to the session you opened on the first physical machine.  

auhank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We saw this behavior with the HP t5745 with a revision preceding T6X32112.  Workarounds included updating to T6X32112 or connecting through a security server (unknown why the latter worked).  Note that T6X32112 breaks audio control via the usual slider in Win7 VMs when using PCoIP, and we obtained a view client patch from HP.

0 Kudos
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mittim12, thanks for the response.

You're right, it does work from different physical machines. Unfortunately I need it to work from the same physical machine. The idea is that a user can start a number of very big calculation jobs on a number of different virtual desktops. These jobs can run for hours. In the mean time they can do their regular work on the physical desktop.

It would be fine if the -standalone switch would work. But this seems to make no difference. It only gives me the option to re-connect if I start the client again. The same as without -standalone.

0 Kudos
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions Auhank. I'm using regular Windows 7 PC's with the View 4.6 Client. Interesting that using a Security Server makes a difference, but that would complicate things, so I'd rather avoid using one.

Regards,

-Poort.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If these jobs are running for hours why not just have them utilize RDP without the View client?   That would allow you to utilize multiple sessions and still allow them to work on their physical desktop as these jobs processed in the background.  

Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could use RDP, I just did not realise it would make a difference with this issue. Never thought it would be PCoIP related. I'll try RDP and see if it solves my problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just noticed I misread your answer. RDP without the View client. I don't want to go around View. I'd have to manage some way who logs on to what desktop. That's what I want View to do.

Does this mean there's no way to get this working? If so I suggest someone changes the Admin Guide to specify the limitations more clearly.

0 Kudos