VMware Horizon Community
KJK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multiple View infrastructures with same url

I'm looking to migrate my users from one vcenter and a view environment to another vcenter and view environment.

On the new vcenter I'm planning to build out a composer, connection server and security server seperate from the old vcenter/view.

I would like it so that both environments can be utilized via the same url, that way if a user has a issue with there new VDI on the new vcenter they can simply choose to use the old VDI. This way it makes migration pretty seemless and I can always have the users use there old VDI if necessary.

Is there anyway to get this done?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It is possible but you will need to implement some kind of intelligent loadbalancer like F5 Global Load balancer, that will increase cost and complexity.

I would use another url to the new site and inform the user properly.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It is possible but you will need to implement some kind of intelligent loadbalancer like F5 Global Load balancer, that will increase cost and complexity.

I would use another url to the new site and inform the user properly.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One option is to switch the old name used by View Clients e.g. view.myco.com to resolve in DNS to the IP of the new View environment and create a new DNS name of say view-old.myco.com to resolve to the original IP.

Your users will then automatically switch to the new View environment without them needing to change the URL they use to connect. If they ever need to get to the old environment, they can simply use view-old.myco.com.

Mark

LikeABrandit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think Mark has the best idea on this one. It sounds like what you'd prefer to do is actually allow the View Client to connect to a broker, and be able to see both old and new pools simultaneously from both View environments. If you'll be keeping those environments separate, then even with an F5 you couldn't accomplish that with a single Url. A load balancer could route between one broker and another based on a number of possible algorithms and even based on the subnet the user connected from, but it would have no way to tell when the user wanted the old broker and pools or the new broker and pools without them using a different Url.