VMware Horizon Community
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Multiple Pools?

Ok, here's what on the surface seems to be a stupid questions (to me anyway), but I haven't thought about if for some reason until just today. Is anyone aware of a way to assign a user machines from seperate pools with a broker (Leostream in my case)?

We just came up with a scenario that would lead to a group of users needing to be assigned 1 machine each from 2 different pools. In other words, 1 machine from Pool A and 1 machine from Pool B. The only way I can come up with acomplishing this at the moment, is 1 assigned from a pool and then hard assigning the other. Hopefully there's something I'm not thinking of...

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Through policy assignment it is not possible as it will allocate the set number of devices from the assigned pool. The issue lays with the fact that Leostream currently will only abide by the access policies of a single AD property match. If they supported multiple groups being assigned to a user then the ability to assign in this way woudl be possible.

The other issue that is almopst related to this is that it currently support a user having assigned desktops from multiple brokers. An example of this is if you have a machine in one region and require another in a seperate region the forwarding rules ensure that you can only be serviced by the assignments contained in a single broker.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Opened a ticket with the vendor, and got my response there. The feature should become available in a future release down the road. Still curious if anyone has any additional input on this, but still marking the post as "answered" ...sorry no points left fellas :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Steve,

right now I am not in front of my Leostream virtual server (nor I am in a mood to concentrate on this hard excercise Smiley Happy ) but what you are saying is that playing with tags and policies you can't get to a point where a user validates and is assigned more than one vm's coming from different pools ?

This is interesting since one of the (brief) discussions a while back was wether a broker could handle (through the browers and/or its client) providing to the user more than a single vm's. I have also included this "feature" in my table (Multi machines User support) and it says yes for all the brokers ....... 😕

As I said at the moment I can't think harder than this .... I would need to sit down with a piece of paper and concentrate on it ... something I can't afford at the moment.... Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Massimo

Not a problem, as this one can be confusing when trying to translate it in pure words. Multiple VMs are possible, but currently not from seperate pools. It is possible to assign a user more than one machine from ONE pool, or to add multiple direct 1:1 assignments. What is not possible (currently anyway, and I can't speak of the other brokers) is this.

User A -> 1 VM from Pool A

User A -> 1 VM from Pool B

User B -> 1 VM from Pool A

User B -> 1 VM from Pool B

etc...

Again, I can't speak for all brokers. It's not possible at this moment in time, but I was told recently that it will become available in an upcomming release soon. Thankfully for the moment this need isn't HUGE for us, so I'm able to do 1:1 assignents for the additional machines that the users need. Realistically since these are developers, Lab Manager is eventually a better solution. We just don't have the time, budget or architecture to get there yet. I don't know how often multiple machine pools would come up outside of this scenario though.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I sat down 5 minutes and .... yes ... it makes sense you can't do this as of today ... Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Through policy assignment it is not possible as it will allocate the set number of devices from the assigned pool. The issue lays with the fact that Leostream currently will only abide by the access policies of a single AD property match. If they supported multiple groups being assigned to a user then the ability to assign in this way woudl be possible.

The other issue that is almopst related to this is that it currently support a user having assigned desktops from multiple brokers. An example of this is if you have a machine in one region and require another in a seperate region the forwarding rules ensure that you can only be serviced by the assignments contained in a single broker.

0 Kudos