VMware Horizon Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving a persistent disk

I have a couple users that were in an old pool when we were on 4.6 and we since upgraded to 5.1.  I am just starting to use persona management and was curious if there is an easy way to move their persistent disk to a new pool that utilizes persona manangement?  I would like to preserve their data if possible. Any help with this is appreciated.  Thanks.

Perry

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Perhaps just a script to copy what is located on the persistent profile over into the new persona repository?    I know in the latest version of View persona has a method of migrating from Windows XP profile to WIndows 7.  Not sure if you can use that tool to do what your looking for but could be worth a call to tech support to verify.

cherzyk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Perry,

I am looking into this as I want to do the same soon.

My plan currently is to move the existing desktops to the domain-OU where persona management is defined. Then over some time (during my first tests it took some time/reboots until the sync started) the profiles should be synced. After that the users can be moved to a new desktop pool where the desktops are in an OU with persona management.

virtualseed
Contributor
Contributor

You can disconnect the persistent data disk from one clone and attach it to a non-assigned clone in another pool.  Easy way to move a user from one pool to the other as long as it's XP-XP or Win7-Win7.  If you are moving from XP in one pool to Win7 in the other, then you will want to do the one-time upgrade script (Vmware has details that come up on Google).

0 Kudos