VMware Horizon Community
MatthewTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Moving View Personas

Hi All,

I am looking at moving a View Personas repository to a new server for a client.  Is there a best practice way of doing this?  I was looking at using Robocopy.

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately there is no true "best practice" as VMware doesn't support doing this. :smileyshocked:

The reality is though that while Persona is a a finicky beast, you can migrate the profiles the same way as you would any other profile with Robocopy. A profile is just a profile when it comes to Persona and copying profiles is a pretty common task. Check the documentation on Robocopy and guides on how to do it. Make sure the ACLs are correct post-copy of course: Documentation Center for VMware Horizon 6.0 with View

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Matt,

If you are at horizon Enterprise you can even plan from migarting for persona to Vmware User Environment Manager.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2118056

Regards

Gaurav Baghla

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One thing to add that I forgot is that you have to worry about cleaning up the lock files, this is something extra that persona has but not roaming profiles. Copy the profile with or without the user logged on, and before you do the switch over log the user you're migrating off and do a final sync Then cleanup the lock file (should be fine after the logoff and final sync and but just check in case) and point the user to the new location and get them to log in.

0 Kudos
DeaconZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We did it with Robocopy because our original repo was Windows 2012 w/ dedupe on. It kept corrupting profiles. We moved to a Windows 2012 R2 box with a Flash LUN w/o dedupe. Runs fine.

Here was our command:

robocopy "F:\Persona" "H:\Persona" /MIR /SEC /FFT /Z /R:1 /W:1 /LOG+:PersonaCopy.log /TEE

0 Kudos