VMware Horizon Community
Gdriver
Contributor
Contributor

Move / SVMOTION Replica / Source from Datastore to another

Hi,

I need to evacuate 2 Datastores. Now the only things on those 2 datastores are 4 replica / source machines. These are productive ones which means, there are a lot of linked clones linked to these replicas. So there is no way to recompose these ones.

If I would unprotect the entity the linked clones wouldn´t work anymore right?

Is there a way to move the replicas to another datastore without "killing" the linked clones?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
geddam
Expert
Expert

The only way to move a Linked Clone replicas from one storage to another is to delete and recreate. Replicas are carried out with unique UUID on the datastore where it is created.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
Gdriver
Contributor
Contributor

But if I would unprotect the replica and delete it, the linked clones won´t work anymore ??

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Correct!

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
scoggib
Contributor
Contributor

Could you not do the following?

Edit pool settings to use new datastore only.

Then you can add 1 to the pool so it will automatically create new replica on new datastore.

Once previous step is complete Rebalance to new datastore.

Once done this should automatically delete old replicas and everything will be on new datastore.

0 Kudos
Gdriver
Contributor
Contributor

As I said, this would mean, that you have to recompose. So anything what isn´t redirected to documents & settings would be gone. So the users have to reconfigure the machin again to use it. 4 sure, the user data disk is still there. But production is on hold 4 the reconfiguration time and this is the thing I wan´t to prehibit. Because of that I search 4 another solution.

0 Kudos