VMware Horizon Community
Phanatic2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Motorola Xoom not compatible?

I've been trying to install the VMWare View Tech preview from the Android Market, but all I keep getting are messages saying my "device is not compatible."

I thought this was a tech preview designed around Honeycomb - why isn't the Xoom compatible?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We ARE Xoom compatable 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2.  Are you using a custom ROM or anything different than stock image?

0 Kudos
Phanatic2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Nope; stock, out-of-the-box.  Running 3.2.1 currently after the latest update, but no ROMS, roots, or anything...

0 Kudos
Phanatic2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Has nobody else seen this yet?  Tried a bunch of ways, but constantly get denied.  Is there a way to get the .apk file to do a direct install?

0 Kudos
Dspringer201110
Contributor
Contributor

Brand new Xoom with current updates (3.2.1) and the client will not install. It is not searchable in the market either, but if I try to link directly to it I get denied with "not compatible with your device." I have installed the same app on two different devices (one Froyo and one Gingerbread) and both of those work.

Maybe the package needs to be updated to allow for newer builds of Honeycomb?

0 Kudos
Phanatic2011101
Contributor
Contributor

My symptoms are exactly what DSpringer listed.  I'm attaching pics of both methods, both through the App store and direct from the web page.  Neither works, and it may just be a version check issue - 3.2.1 is fairly recent.

Xoom error 1.jpg

Xoom error 2.jpg

0 Kudos
RJL201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I also am unable to download.  I have a xoom with android version 3.2.1 and get a message that the app is not compatible with my device.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is odd, it works on all of ours with 3.2.1.  We are looking into this though.  We have stock Xooms and see no issues here.  BUT ...  We are going to update the app soon

0 Kudos
Dspringer201110
Contributor
Contributor

Was it installed before or after the devices were updated to 3.2.1?

How soon is "soon"? The suspense is killing me. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Phanatic2011101
Contributor
Contributor

I was just coming here to ask that same question.  Is this a problem ONLY for fresh installs on tablets already on 3.2.1?

And is there an ETA for the update?  For me, it's more than just suspense.  We have an outstanding order for a large shipment of tablets to be given out as loaners at our shcool library, but before we go ahead with this, I need to be sure our virtual site works.  That was the whole genesis of this attempt to install the View client.  Since I can't get it to work, I'd like to at least report a supposed time frame to my supervisors.  Any info you have is helpful!

0 Kudos
RJL201110141
Contributor
Contributor

The problem I am having is not being able to download it from the android market. The app doesn't show up at all when I access the market via the market app on my xoom. If I go to the market via a web browser the app shows up but if I try to download it I get a message saying the app is not compatible with my device.

I was able to get a copy of the .apk file from another source and do a manual install without any problems.

0 Kudos
Dspringer201110
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, sounds to me like a Market settings problem with the package not specifically supporting 3.2.1.

Where did you find the apk at? I have the app installed on a Galaxy Tab so maybe I can copy the apk from it instead of relying on the market for now.

0 Kudos
Phanatic2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Any news on the market update and/or availability of the APK?  It's been a week since any movement on this thread...

0 Kudos
Dspringer201110
Contributor
Contributor

I pulled the apk from a different device and installed it on my Xoom without any problems. It's running just fine too, so it really looks like a Market issue specific to allowing it on v3.2.1. Hopefully that can be corrected soon, or when this updated version comes out that 3.2.1 is included in the allowed versions in the Market.

0 Kudos
Phanatic2011101
Contributor
Contributor

My problem is, I have no other device to pull from.  I'm just looking for a direct download link, since there's no getting around this Market bug.

0 Kudos
Dspringer201110
Contributor
Contributor

Others have posted the apk to dropboxes out in the wild. While I don't condone this vs. just getting the app from the market, this is a possible workaround for you until the market is updated. You will need to enable applications from unknown sources to install the apk.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is odd.  on our devices, it shows compatable.  Can anyone post a screenshot showing the incompatibility ? It would help us greatly

0 Kudos
Phanatic2011101
Contributor
Contributor

I posted 2 screenshots in this thread almost 2 weeks ago - see post #6 on Page 1.  First pic was trying to access the market via web browser, the second shot was directly from the Android Market app.

The forum dumbed down the resolution, so those pics are a little blurry.  If you want better quality, I can send them to you directly.

0 Kudos
ErikSteffens
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

my galaxy tab isn't compatible as well

SC20111024-164451-1.jpg

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

All,

We are working on possible reasons this is happening.  We just made a change.  Can you try again and let us know if you are able to download the app now?

0 Kudos