VMware Horizon Community
TexBill
Contributor
Contributor

Monitoring view with powershell ?

Hello,

Is there a way to monitor a view server with powershell ?

I'd like to count the VM in a dynamic pool by state (connected, available, error ...)

I have only found a way to count the number of active sessions.

Any help would be appreciate.

5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The recommended way would be to use vCenter Operations for View, but if that is not possible there is always the Event Database that you could query.

A few different options and examples is in the integration guide:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-52/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/horizon-view-52-integration.pdf

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Rorus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Linjo,

Are there any plans for increasing the use of PowerShell within View? Or are there any technical reasons why VMware haven't progressed View cmdlets to the high standard of their other products (e.g. vSphere)?

Simple things such as getting the status of a desktop, adding a vm to a manual pool, removing a vm from a manual pool, sending a message to all desktops etc. would make things so much easier.

Thanks,

Rorus.

iefke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same question as Rorus, The Do you know Linjo if VMware will enhance the PowerCLI cmdlets so they are more usable?

Blog: http://www.ivobeerens.nl
0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I wish they would. In some ways the cmdlts are powerful but in other ways incredibly limiting.

Regarding counting the VMs in a pool. You can do that by using the View Powershell cmdlt to query a pool. EX: (get-desktopvm -pool_id poolid).count

That will return the number of VMs in the designated pool(s) depending if you do a wildcard on the pool name filter.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Its VMware:s policy not to comment on future features/product.

I would suggest to contact your local VMware Sales/SE/TAM to get a roadmap-briefing.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos