VMware Horizon Community
rrosenkoetter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mixing Desktop VMs with Server VMs

Suddenly "VDI" is a buzzword at my company... We have a need for 50 XP VMs, possibly using some Citrix product as a broker (I don't have near enough detail on that).

My main question is, would this be something to build out as a separate farm, or could I build these 50 VMs as part of my current ESX farm (currently only hosting servers). What are best practices between mixing server and desktop VMs

0 Kudos
6 Replies
uslacker99
Expert
Expert

You probably want to do some load testing - it really depends on how much load you have on each VM. VMware DRS comes in handy here as it will automatically VMotion VMs to other hosts for load balancing.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

In all reality no, a VD is just another VM, just a diferent OS. they are also not usually as disk intensive as server VM's so sharing the same SAN LUNs should not be an issue, (caveat, beware during AV updates (plan for out of hours and stagger across Hosts and LUN's) and logon/off periods as these are times of high disk usage)

your real issue would be memory, however this would be the issue in all cases, as has already been stated, Plan, Plan, Plan and then Test, Test and Test again.

Remember DRS is your friend, if you have the capacity use it.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
hakimzc
Contributor
Contributor

I have a very similar setup, about 50 XP VMs mixed in with a couple of file servers.

I only have two hosts so I had to consider HA settings quite closely (in terms of restart priorities of the servers and the VMs), also have a good think about using shares to control your resource utilisation.

My storage is very cheap, only 7200rpm disks, but everything works within acceptable I\O limits.

Kind regards,

bbplc

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

Hi,

You can have the Virtual desktops and servers in the same farm. But you should make sure that it does not affect the perfomance of the virtual servers in any way.

So u need determine the Maximum resources for ur VD's and you can define the resource pool's to limit the memory and CPU % for VD's. Resource Pools comes handy in these kind of setup.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Today it does make sense to do that (as Tom mentioned these are just 50 more vm's ... that happen to be XP and not win2003.....). Of course you need to take into account 50 new vm's so ... either Resource Pools or new physical resources will help ....

In the future you might see different packages / policies in terms of VDI licensing so (perhaps) it <might> make more sense to separate the environments....

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
hakimzc
Contributor
Contributor

Your message

To: cyrus.hakimzadeh@si.poole.barclays.co.uk

Subject: New message: "Mixing

Desktop VMs with Server VMs"

Sent: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 20:11:52 -0000

did not reach the following recipient(s):

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments.

Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free.

The Barclays Group does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses. Replies to this e-mail may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.

Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of the Barclays Group is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by the Barclays Group.

Barclays Bank PLC.Registered in England and Wales (registered no. 1026167).

Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP, United Kingdom.

Barclays Bank PLC is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

0 Kudos