VMware Horizon Community
MaherAlAsfar
Contributor
Contributor

Missing the local or Shared Datastores during the wizard when creating Automated Desktop Pool

I got two ESX 3.5 U2 servers with shared storage "400GB LUN",. Both Hosts are in one Cluster with HA and DRS enabled.

i have a template created and i am ready to use the product and create Automated Desktop Pool.

i have followed the admin guid doc and created a role and assigned the role at the cluster level to an active directory account that i used to connect with to my virtual center

i even for testing purposes tried to give the account an administrator role in virtual center.

i just cannot see the shared storage or even the local storage on the hosts

Any Help is very appreciated , the vmware view version i m using is 3.0.0 build-127642

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using linked clones? In this case, you'll need to update your esx boxes to U3 and also the VC.

0 Kudos
mokymura
Expert
Expert

Hi MaherAlAsfar,

I have similar problem like you. Check that the user you have gave the roles in the VC has permisions to browse DataStores.

What i used to do is put the user with DataStorage perisions on the top and not propagate. and after in the cluster or clusters that i know i want them to use i give them the permisions.

Probably if you cannot see the storage of the ESX is because you don´t have permisions on the datastores.

Regards

Andres Prieto

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.
0 Kudos
MaherAlAsfar
Contributor
Contributor

Christoph

I am not sure if i am or i am not using the linked clones. i only have a template that i i m intending to use.

0 Kudos
MaherAlAsfar
Contributor
Contributor

i m sure i gave them access to that . i even have ginving the account an Administrator role in VC and still no disks shown

0 Kudos
MaherAlAsfar
Contributor
Contributor

We fixed it. apparently the documentation is wrong . the permission has to be on the Datacenter level not at cluster level

So we created a separate Datacenter and a cluster within it and the account permission on the Datacenter level like I mentioned

0 Kudos
MaherAlAsfar
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I think I know what's happening and VMware never explains thins the way they should

Both the Datastores and Network components are defined under the Datacenter Level not the cluster level

So when giving permission that needs access to datastores or network you would need to create a separate roles that defines the access for these two components and set it on the datacenter level with read only and without propagating it .

0 Kudos