VMware Horizon Community
cyberfed2727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Minimum DHCP Pool Size for VDI

We have a small VDI pool that has 9 linked clone desktops. We currently have an entire class C (254 IP's) available to this pool in DHCP. For security reasons we would like to reduce the DHCP pool size to as small as possible. Is there a sizing guideline for how many IP's should be in a DHCP pool for a given number of VDI's?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Well, you should never need more IP:s then networks hosts on the segment so in your case you would need 9....

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
cyberfed2727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I wasn't sure if doing a recompose would impact the number of IP's in the pool due to MAC addresses changing.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would cut your DHCP lease time 1 hour and do 15 IP addresses. If you get a situation where desktops are deleted, you don't want the DHCP pool running out of addresses because of a desktop or two running out. You can also limit the scope of the addresses to the physical NICs of your hosts so nothing on your network can use that IP scope.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
cyberfed2727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, that was our thought process too but just wanted to check with others.

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
HarelShavit
Contributor
Contributor

I would keep 18 addresses at last in order to make sure that if i have any problem or even someone change something on the DHCP i want to be protect to do at least on recompose operation without thinking on the DHCP, i will always know that we have enough IP address to one recompose at least.

And of course reduce the lease time from default of 8 hours to 1 hour or even less.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Harel Shavit EMC Harel.Shavit@emc.com
0 Kudos