VMware Horizon Community
VIPCTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating from Horizon 7.10.3 to 2006

So we're unfortunately one of those who got caught up in the no support model, even though I put in a ticket before support ended (surprise no real help as this was effectively just ignored till the end support day came and went then best effort) Regardless.

I have a lab setup as we've been using linked clones and I need to configure a setup to move from that to Instant Clones and from Persistent Disks to UEM/DEM. In order to do that I have to setup Composer. 

I am getting weird errors regarding UFA and unsure where to move forward with this as I obviously do not have support with VMware anymore.

I have attached a redacted log to the ticket for reference.

As an idea as well, which may be an issue but not sure of, My infrastructure is as follows:

Lab Net (Different Domain), VCSA (PROD Domain), Hosts(PROD Domain Named). I have DNS setup in my lab environment for VCSA and Hosts but unsure if there's anything else I might be missing. I can telnet to the hosts just fine and as another option, I do have the firewall disabled on the server side.

Also, other lab infrastructure - One Composer (7.13.3), Two Connection Servers (One running 7.13.3 and the other 7.13.3) and One App Volumes and DEM Combined server

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Linked clones are deprecated in Horizon version 8 so you don't need a View Composer. To upgrade from Horizon 7.10.x to Horizon 8, you have to first upgrade to Horizon 7.13 which supports both linked clones and instant clones. Once you are in Horizon 7.13, you can create instant clones and move the users. This should be easier for you because its a lab environment. Once instant clones are in place, delete the linked clone pool and remove View Composer, and then upgrade to Horizon 8. 

Also, you may need to go to a higher version that 2206 because upgrade from 7.13 to 2206 is not supported (the latter was released prior to 7.13). Please see the supported upgrade paths here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85517 

All the information required for migration is here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/89840 

Hope this helps.

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
VIPCTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

That only focuses on one part of the problem.

I'm well aware of the depreciation but I also need to have a plan that I can test and bring to my management for the migration from persistent disks to UEM/DEM.

Which means I still need to get Composer functional in the mean time so I can generate persistent disks.

Also, I have updated lab infrastructure for a better understanding of versions and what's running.

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Its not clear from the post which version of Horizon you are currently running. 7.10.3 or 2006? It says in the lab you have two connection servers, one on 7.10.3 and other on 2006. Are they part of the same cluster? If yes, that could be the reason for the errors. 

Regarding your comment about migrating linked clones with persistent disks to instant clones, here is the official documentation from VMware: https://techzone.vmware.com/resource/modernizing-vdi-new-horizon#migration-scenario---persistent-dis... 

0 Kudos
VIPCTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

So the different versions are the issue? Or 7.10.3 vs 2006?

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You shouldn't mix connection server versions. Especially when the difference between the versions is huge like in this example. 

0 Kudos
VIPCTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Everything is now on 7.13.3

I still see the ufa error

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are on 7.13, you should be able to deploy instant clones and move users instead of deploying linked clones using composer.

0 Kudos
VIPCTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

I have been on vacation, so sorry for the late response.

I still need to provide a guaranteed way, instead of just a let me do it in production method for migrating from persistent disks which is why i'm still focused on the composer aspect.

I really do not want to learn how to not mess up a persistent disk in production.

0 Kudos