VMware Horizon Community
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating VMs To New Cluster

Currently have a cluster of WinXP VMs that are registered with View Manager as "Individual Desktops" (no pools). I plan to migrate these VMs to a new cluster being built with new ESX hosts. Just changing cluster and hosts, no storage moving. Also, there will be no change in the VC managing these clusters.

Since the VC isn't changing, I'm assuming the migrations are transparent to View and nothing needs to be done in View for these VMs.

Is this correct or do I need to remove these VMs from View before migrating them between clusters and add them back into View after the migrations?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think it will cause any issues but it would still be worthwhile to test or two before doing all of the desktops.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Ziegenfus
Contributor
Contributor

This isn't exactly related, but we had a similar question using a pool of linked clones. We couldn't move the VM's without View losing the UDD but we found a way around our problem (thanks to support). Below was our process, worked great.

1. Delete all snapshots on the parent VM.

2. vMotion the parent VM to the new cluster.

3. Create a new snapshot on the parent VM.

4. Edit the desktop pool to use the new cluster.

5. Recompose the desktop pool based on the new snapshot.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos