VMware Horizon Community
DwightKSchrute2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate existing View Composer DB to a new DB server

I need to move our current View Composer DB from its current location (oldserver1) to a new location (newserver1), while keeping the existing View Composer service intact. Is this just a matter of backing up the DB, restoring it to its new location, create a new ODBC and then change the settings for the Composer DB within View Administrator? The Composer service shouldn't need to be re-installed, right? Also, Composer uses port 18443 by default, but the new database is using port 1433 and this is the last DB that will need to be migrated to the new server (i.e., there are other DBs residing on newserver1).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as you don't move the service you shouldn't need to reinstall or change anything within View as the View configuration points to the service.     The 18443 is how View connects to the service not the database so you shouldn't have to change that either.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long as you don't move the service you shouldn't need to reinstall or change anything within View as the View configuration points to the service.     The 18443 is how View connects to the service not the database so you shouldn't have to change that either.  

0 Kudos
DwightKSchrute2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So basically an ODBC change after the migration and that's it?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That should be it but as always backup the current configuration so you can quickly revert if anything goes wrong.

0 Kudos
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just did this last weekend. I stopped the Composer service, backed up the DB, restored it on the new server, verified login and DB security settings were correct on the new DB server, changed the ODBC connection and restarted the Composer service. About 15 minutes and done.

Geoff

ddockter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does this work for moving the View Event DB as well?

0 Kudos