VMware Horizon Community
dgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft Teams on Non-Persistent - UEM + App Vols

Has anyone installed Teams MSI or EXE on a non-persistent environment?

As I see it there are 4 potential options,

1. Install on Master image

2. Install as app stack

3. User install on Writable UIA Vol

4. Thin App

I have tried the first three and every time i log off and log back in Teams is gone and I haven't had success yet on an App stack or on the Master image. I wanted to start up a discussion on this so we could get this as stable as possible. I also am running windows 7 and need to install Workplace Joined to get the VM's in Azure AD as Hybrid Azure AD joined.

Thanks

62 Replies
VentziP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just sharing what I have. 

I installed Team on appstack with the following steps

1. reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\teams /v preventfirstlaunchafterinstall /t REG_DWORD /d 1
    reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\PortICA

2.Reboot

3.msiexec.exe /i "Teams_windows_x64.msi" ALLUSER=1

4. reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v Teams /f

finish capture.

Here is my DEM settings:

[IncludeFolderTrees]
<AppData>\Teams
<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\IdentityCache

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Teams
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\WPPMediaPerApp\Teams

[ExcludeFiles]
*.txt

[ExcludeIndividualFolders]
#<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\meeting-addin\Cache
#<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage

[ExcludeFolderTrees]
<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage

I hope that may help someone. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Skocza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VentziP

Thanks for the guide, but I dont think it fully works 😞 not sure its caused by DEM and what you are capturing?

I did it based on yours plus we have M365 Office appstacked (all those popups - news etc. surpressed)

When you logon first time:

1) Sign for MS Teams, then open outlook -> otherwise plugin not loaded

2) Go to calendar in outlook and schedule MS TEams meeting - it works

3) Close and open outlook more times and try the same - then first error comes up = that you need sign out and sign in for MS Teams again to be able to schedule the meeting -> you do, signed out, signed in -> tried in outlook again, then another error comes up = We couldnt schedule the meeting. Please try again later

Do you experience the same please for MS Teams in connection with Outlook (Calendar schedule) ?

Thanks for any advise

BTW we are also using these in a pckage

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WorkplaceJoin" /v "BlockAADWorkplaceJoin" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Installed MS TEams with params ALLUSER/ALLUSERS=1

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for sharing this. I've been using Horizon for a while but kind of new to app volumes and DEM. Would you be willing to explain a bit more about your settings and what they do? We don't use Citrix. 

Here's what we're trying to accomplish:

* make Office 2019 an app volume so we can present it to only those users who are licensed for it

* give teams with Office

* non-persistent floating instant clone desktops

Looks like app volumes or virtual apps, can only capture one install at a time. So I can capture Office2019 just fine but teams needs to detect Office in order to get the teams add-in installed in Outlook so it's not working to capture teams with office at the same time. Likewise capturing teams alone doesn't seem to work. And if I install teams on the base image but office isn't there (because it will be there via appvolumes/virtualapps, then the toolbar doesn't get added because it doesn't detect Outlook being installed. 

hopefully that made sense. 

0 Kudos