VMware Horizon Community
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft Teams Performance

Curious what everyone's experience is with Microsoft Teams in VDI. Ours hasn't been great, trying to determine an expectation to set.

Our environment:

Windows 10 1809, Office 2016, Horizon 8 2012(with Teams Optimization), DEM 2006, AppVol 2.18.4, 2 CPUs, 8GB RAM

Lenovo T490 connected via VPN, Horizon 8 Clients.

Video is horrible at first, gets better, but, in general the video is not great.

Anybody having similar experience? Better experience?

Anybody using Horizon Smart policies to enforce settings? UDP?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UPDATE:

We use ControlUp as a tool to monitor and remediate, it is showing page faults as a stressor:

pbastiaans_0-1620063209583.png

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Whats your swap size and memory set to set to, I can't remember if control up delineates between hard and soft faults. I'd increase the RAM per host and experiment and lowering the swap size if possible to prevent as much as possible from being commited to disk.

0 Kudos
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you.

We increased RAM from 6GB to 8GB (reserved).

Windows swap is set to 1GB.

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ours has been crap. Constant audio, video and sharing issues when in VDI. No issue when the machine is physical. I have gone as far as even setting DSCP priorities for Horizon to see if it helps with no luck. I am ready to toss Horizon out. Not sure how this is really saving me any time or money when I can get micro desktops for under $500 with dedicated CPU, Graphics and HD per person. I already have to get them anyway as a "Terminal" machine.

Any tips? We are running in optimized mode with Blast. Only around 200 users with 2 connector servers.

0 Kudos
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NickTT- Overall we’ve been extremely happy with Horizon VDI. Teams has been a challenge, part of that has to be Microsoft (I’m not a fan of the settings being in a json file).

Tips? Make sure you are running Teams optimized.

Good luck, hang in there, keep posting, lotta good people out here.

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lack of control of updates is also silly with Teams. It's like MS tossed out their Enterprise playbook completely. 

We are running in Optimized mode. However getting there was a problem because people started installing Teams in their user profile. Had to build a script to delete it and install it the "VDI" way to get that Optimized mode to switch on.

I bumped up the memory reservations on the two Horizon connection servers to 8GB with a max of 16GB available to the OS. I read here that people saw better performance with Teams once they made that change. I'll have to wait and see. I also put in rules to keep the Horizon Servers on separate hosts. Confirmed DRS isn't bouncing the servers and VMs around, especially around times users report issues.

Anything else to look at would be helpful.

0 Kudos