VMware Horizon Community
Mark808
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft Print to PDF broken following installation of Feb. 2022 Win 10 Update.

Aloha,

I'm running Horizon 7.13.1 with Windows 10 LTSB golden image and instant clones.

Following the MS Windows Cumulative update on February 8, 2022, my users reported that printing from any app (Notepad for testing) to the Microsoft Print to PDF printer results in the creation of an empty PDF file and the error message "The Handle is invalid".  

If I launch the golden image and test from the console, it works properly.

I've tried Removing/Adding the printer without success on both the golden image and the user IC accounts.

I've also tried uninstalling it as a Windows Feature and adding it again, without success.

Deleting the Writable volume and rebuilding the user profile also did not solve the issue.

When deleting and re-adding the PDF printer in a user account, the print a test page button oddly succeeds, but printing immediately afterwards from Notepad does not.

Using an image prior to the Feb. update works properly so I'm certain the problem is a result of the Win Update.

Is anyone else encountering this issue and have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

24 Replies
lnb11
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya

we have exxactly the same problem and have tried all manner of variations on the things Mark808 has tried with no joy. 

Has anyone had this and cured it?

0 Kudos
ChadNotTheFirst
Contributor
Contributor

I've found it only error's out when an App Volume is attached to the VM. If a user has no app volumes assigned to them, the Print to PDF works normally.

No solution yet, although I will be trying to update the appstacks with the Feb. 2022 update to see if that has any effect.

AndrewCroft
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here - so far I've found / tried (much as the OP has):

- newly created users / virtual desktops don't have the issue ( the App Volumes thing)

- completely wiping and allowing windows to re-create both the local and roaming appdata folders doesn't have any effect

- the master image which I use to deploy the linked-clone desktops doesn't have the problem

- using dism to remove / reinstall Microsoft Print to PDF doesn't help

- noticed that the PDF actually gets created but is zero bytes

- I've tried to eleminate registry entries within HKCU by exporting from a working machine and importing into a broken one, but haven't had any luck yet - heaps of permission issues etc with trying to do that...

Will look forward to how the AppVols fix goes by ChadNotTheFirst

Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What appvolumes version do you use and does this still occur without a writeable attached?

0 Kudos
AndrewCroft
Contributor
Contributor

For me, if you remove the App Volumes, the problem goes away. App Volumes version 2.18.6.24

0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are you using writeables?

0 Kudos
AndrewCroft
Contributor
Contributor

No

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What OS version (like 20h2)?

0 Kudos
AndrewCroft
Contributor
Contributor

21H2 - build 19044.1526

Prior to the updates, 21H2 build 19044.1415 doesnt have the issue

0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

fslogix, linked clone or other profile container?

0 Kudos
AndrewCroft
Contributor
Contributor

Linked Clones, persistent disks and roaming profiles

0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-kb5010415-update-released-with-35-bug-fix...

with:

• Addresses an issue that prevents printing from operating properly for some low integrity process apps.

0 Kudos
lnb11
Contributor
Contributor

All of those patches have been applied. 

0 Kudos
AndrewCroft
Contributor
Contributor

Have just installed that patch on my master image, re-optimised and recomposed with no change in Print to PDF behaviour

0 Kudos
ChadNotTheFirst
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately adding the patch (KB5010342) to the individual appstacks did not help. I tried installing the patch on the App Volumes capture machine both before and after the provisioning process.

Environment

App Volumes: 2.18.10.10

Horizon: 7.13.1

We don't use writeable volumes, and have FSLogix for the profile management.

0 Kudos
AndrewCroft
Contributor
Contributor

To fix the problem, we can whitelist the process in which this DLL executes. Add line *\spoolsv.exe||* to the multi-line registry value Key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\svdriver\Parameters Value HookInjectionWhitelist Type REG_MULTI_SZ And rebuild the pool.

I used group policy to push out this change which required end users to restart their machines twice - once to pick up the group policy, then subsequently to apply the registry change.

BenTrojahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can confirm same enough behavior on 2012r2 RDSH with *some* local printer, CutePDF, Microsoft XPS, AND integrated Printing redirected queues.  7.13.1 and appvol  2.18.10

Can confirm @AndrewCroft has the fix.  Though I would put it in "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet" 

Edit:  I checked our POC image w\ appvol 4.5 2111 spoolsv.exe was already there.  We add 6 or so additional exceptions to the whitelist so i should have known better.

m1k3yr
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, we have been going around in circles on this one.  Only thing we could do was to roll back our images a few months and avoid doing windows updates.

We are using Windows 10 20H2, AppVol 2.18.0, Horizon View 7.13.1.

In additional to Print-To-PDF not working, we also observed USB label printers quit working.

I did notice that in the base images, prior to being deployed, PDF printing worked.  I was thinking it was a particular AppVol and was going to have to narrow it down to which one(s) was causing the issue.  

Thank you all for posting about this.

0 Kudos
m1k3yr
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm the registry change by AndrewCraft worked on our 20H2 and 21H2 images.  

Labels printers work too!!

0 Kudos