VMware Horizon Community
balag2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Microsoft Licenses- VDI

Please give some advice how can our customer reduce Microsoft licenses for 350 CCU. 25 % will be application publishing and 50% will be Linux published desktop and 25% will be windows 10 published desktop.

Microsoft gives huge bill , how can we give cost effective solutions to customers? Will recommend customer go to Microsoft SA can reduce the Microsoft spent. Please advise.

Thanks

Bala

3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't think that there's an easy answer for that. It depends on many factors, like:

• what kind of hardware do the clients use (Fat clients, Thin clients, Windows/non-Windows OS)?
  • how are the existing (physical) clients licensed (e.g. Windows version, edition, with/without SA)?
  • will RDS servers be used for application publishing?
  • which protocols (RDP, PCoIP, Blast) are used to access the VDI desktops, and applications?

André

balag2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My responses given below

• what kind of hardware do the clients use (Fat clients, Thin clients, Windows/non-Windows OS)? Thin client, non-Windows OS
  • how are the existing (physical) clients licensed (e.g. Windows version, edition, with/without SA)?without SA
  • will RDS servers be used for application publishing?Yes
  • which protocols (RDP, PCoIP, Blast) are used to access the VDI desktops, and applications?Blast Extreme.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As you may know, MS publishes licensing documents with hundreds of pages, and often changes things. So please consider asking a someone (e.g. an MS partner) to confirm proper licensing.

From how I understand things, you'd need a VDA license for each client/user who connects to a Windows desktop. If RDS servers come into play, you need RDS CALs. For clients/users who have access to both, you need to get both licenses.

André