VMware Horizon Community
SwaJime
Contributor
Contributor

Microphone issues

"Ubuntu 20.04 LTS was released on April 23, 2020, succeeding Ubuntu 19.10 as the latest stable release of this hugely popular Linux-based operating system"

I am having the same issue.  I was just forced yesterday to upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 due to another software compatibility issue.

I have Horizon installed and a Win7 guest.  I have two microphones and while they work in every Ubuntu app, I cannot get either to work in the Win7 guest.

I use this system for work every day and have Skype and Teams meetings where I am required to have audio.  I do not know if downgrading Ubuntu is even possible.

Is there any workaround or fix yet?  What can we do to get this fixed ???

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is your issue with Horizon or with Workstation? (it's not clear)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
SwaJime
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Horizon Client 5.4.1 build 15988340

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been searching the Horizon forum for a similar post to respond to before creating a new post.

If there are any other details I can provide that will help, please let me know.

0 Kudos
SwaJime
Contributor
Contributor

Can you help getting this fixed?  Or do I need to post a new question in the Horizon forum?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Comment branched from a thread in the Workstation Pro area to a new thread in the Horizon area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
SwaJime
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for moving the post.

If anybody can help with this, I would really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello SwaJime,

Could you elaborate your issue a little bit more? Is it the microphone recording not working? How about audio playback? In addition to Skype and Teams have you tried Windows native/built-in sound record tool?

0 Kudos
SwaJime
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response.

In Skype, nobody can hear me speak.

I go to audio settings in Skype for the microphone and I see that there appears to be no activity when I speak.

Also, I went to the Windows control panel microphone settings and see no activity when I speak.

Oddly enough, it was working in Teams the other day.  This seems to be the only application where it works.  I do not see any place in Teams to adjust or see microphone settings.

Per your suggestion, I tried the Windows sound recorder.  It gives no indication of microphone activity.  When playing back the recorded file there is no sound.

I mainly use Skype, and have had to resort to using dial in numbers to use my cell phone for audio instead of my computer.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
SwaJime
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday, I tried Teams again and could not get the microphone to work.  So even that is iffy.

0 Kudos