VMware Horizon Community
dmuligan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Memory reservation

Hi,

is there any official vmware recommendation in the amount of memory to reserve (if any) on VMs dedicated to View ? Are you using any ?

Thank you !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We are using a vGPU and when adding this is it obligated to have the full amount of memory being reserved.

I haven't found any recommendation on this in documentation (which doesn't mean there isn't any) but my suggestion would be to fully reserve the memory.

Thing is that if you don't reserve the memory it will create a memory file on your disk which means you'd need to have more storage available for the VDI machines. Also, if you run out of memory and the machine starts balooning it will also consume some CPU cycles you could need elsewhere.

Also, memory is so damn cheap these days I would not try to save money on it and take the risk of losing performance. The moment your ESX starts to swap your performance will fall apart, specially on VDI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We are using a vGPU and when adding this is it obligated to have the full amount of memory being reserved.

I haven't found any recommendation on this in documentation (which doesn't mean there isn't any) but my suggestion would be to fully reserve the memory.

Thing is that if you don't reserve the memory it will create a memory file on your disk which means you'd need to have more storage available for the VDI machines. Also, if you run out of memory and the machine starts balooning it will also consume some CPU cycles you could need elsewhere.

Also, memory is so damn cheap these days I would not try to save money on it and take the risk of losing performance. The moment your ESX starts to swap your performance will fall apart, specially on VDI.

0 Kudos
dmuligan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok, thanks Ray.

And to configure it, just adding the reservation on the golden settings, right ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes.. Everything that you set on the golden image will be used for the VM's.

0 Kudos