VMware Horizon Community
bhamm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mass VM Tools Update

I have a large number of fully persistent desktops (by that I mean not linked clones) whose vm tools I'll need to upgrade in the near future, so I'm looking for an automated method of upgrading them.  I'm aware of the automatic upgrade feature in the vsphere client, but I'm concerned the default install is going to replace the view agent display driver and cause display issues with PCoIP.

This KB article alludes to the idea that you can use the advanced options field of the automatic upgrade menu to install tools without certain components:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1022830

Of course, that's an article for an older version of View & vSphere.  I've looked at the docs for esxi 5.x series, but I haven't found much info on the possible command line options, or whether they've changed.

Can anyone point me to info on the advanced options paramaters?  If you use this method to upgrade tools on your view desktops, what string do you use?

Or, perhaps I should ask, what's the best way to automate the update of vmware tools on view desktops that aren't linked clones?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think you want "Installing and Configuring VMware Tools" from the vSphere documentation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think you want "Installing and Configuring VMware Tools" from the vSphere documentation.

0 Kudos
bhamm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks; not sure how I missed that.  I guess when I found a section on vmware tools in the upgrade guide, I assumed that's all they wrote on it.

0 Kudos