VMware Horizon Community
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Manual pool - broker's IP adress in View agent configuration fails

Hello,
I have problem with creating Manual pool/Floating user assignment. I'd want add existing vCenter machine and sometime after creation process View broker don't push it's IP adress to the View Agent and VM inside the Manual pool is in reporting state "Waiting for the agent". I have tried set IP/name of Connection server to the registry of the VM manually but after View agent restart these settings has been deleted. Does anybody have similar issues? What is the process of setting IP/name to the View agent? This setting are pushed by View Connection server during pool creation?
Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
uday_s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you View Agent in the vCenter Managed Virtual Machine? First, install the View Agent in the virtual machine. Assign a static IP address or specify that an IP address is assigned by a DHCP server. Set the preferred and alternate DNS server addresses to your Active Directory server address. Add VM to AD Domain.

Refer page#93 for creating manual pool. http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/view-50-administration.pdf

It also lists the steps required to prepare View Agent.

Thanks,

Uday

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Uday,

thanks for the response. I of course know this steps. I am commonly using Manual pools but sometimes I get into the described issues and I don't know why. I have tried reinstall agent, delete pool and create it again etc. ....

Roman

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I've never seen this issue with a manual pool.  For the problematic machines is the DNS working correctly or maybe some type of firewall that is blocking communication.   Might be a long shot but how are these machines being used in the manual pool being created?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I agree with Mittim, these issues are usually because of DNS, Dhcp or lack of vSwitch ports.

Check your domain-controllers and make sure there are no "phantoms" left, for example a DC that was removed but not demoted.

Have worked with some large customers and most of the troubleshooting have been with DNS.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think, that this is not DNS related issue. VDI VM (View Agent) can report to Connection Server if knows it's name/IP adress. IP adress of Connection Server is not configured during agent install and is pushed (IMHO) during assigning to the Manual pool. When I am looking for the Connection Server record in registry on working (correctly reporting) VM I can find it in HKLM/Softoware/VMware/VMware VDM/Agent/Configuration/Broker value. But on problematic VM I can't find it in the registry. This is the issue. I have no firewall, I can ping Connection Server etc.

Roman

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Is there any difference in this VM and a working VM?   Did you lets say clone it from another VM already registered with the connection broker?    In my experience that typically leads to instability and an ill functioning machine.   

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no difference between working VM and problematic. Both VMs has been created from the same template and View agent has been installed after clone process i.e. View agent isn't part of template.

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I find maybe solution in KB Article: 2004269 but I am unsuccessful in pae-MOID value. I didn't find it in the configuration of problematic pool/VM nor in the working pool/VM.

A little clarification of my situation:

I had working WinXP pool with the DNS name TEST (one VM). I had reinstall the VM to the W7 with the same DNS name (ID of the VM has been changed). It could be the source of issue as is described in the KB but I didn't pae-MOID 😞

..... any ideas?? It is very frustrating!

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This was blind way 😞 I made export via vdmexport and there is pae-MOID value. When I compare it with SQL query the number is the same .

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I found this KB article which may apply, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010441.    Is the agent the same version of View as the connection broker? 

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello all,

solution was very simple. I had to restart both our Connection Servers. I don't know where was the error 😞

Roman

0 Kudos