VMware Horizon Community
JonKemp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Managment server CPU requirements

Greetings All

Firstly, before I get jumped on, I know the following question is not considered best practice so I am purely asking for opinions oand if any else has tried this.

I am currently building a View infrastructure for 200 desktops. We'll have 5 hosts with the relevant servers to manage the system. These will be

1 x SQL 2008 R2

1 x vCenter Server

2 x  Connection Brokers

All will be running 2008 R2 standard.

The question is:

Has anyone tried running any or all of these type of servers with a single vCPU and what sort of performance have you had.

I am mainly considering this because for the most part I don't notice a high CPU usage (typically less than 10%) on our other infrastructure servers on other datacentres, however, they are running 2 vCPUs. If I can run with 1 vCPU then I can have Fault Tolerance configured on all our critical compnents and save the hassle and money of configuring MSCS and vCenter heartbeat (or similar). The cluster will have enough resources to set the reservations for all four servers without affecting the desktops.

Any comments gratefully received.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We run our connection brokers and VDI vCenter box with a singole CPU without any issues.   Our SQL server is not dedicated so it houses other databases and requires way more than a single CPU.

JonKemp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for that.

How many desktops / hosts are you managing with those servers?

0 Kudos