VMware Horizon Community
lesaisidufond
Contributor
Contributor

Managing of Software Licences on View desktops

Hi,

For us one of the biggest advantage of View is the Managing of a minimum of stations configuration (Upgrades, New Installs ...)

We have taken the option of creating only one Master (at this time) with all the software used in the society.

For limiting the access to those softwares, we protect the installation directory and to the menu to authorized users only.

Is there another way to manage this aspect of virtualization ?

One problem with our option is that we have to install on the same master the both verision of Office (Standard and Pro).

I understood at the beiginning that it could be possible to create every Station with a combination of modules. It seems that it is not possible.

Example :

Microsoft Office Standard :          User A, B, C

Microsoft Office Pro :                  User D, E, F

Microsoft Visio Pro :                   User C

In our case, we restrict the access to the installation directory to :

- Office Standard    -> A, B, C

- Office Pro            -> D, E, F

- Visio                   -> C

Is our solution OK for licences management ?

How do you proceed youselves ?

Thanks a lot, it is a basic point for us

A+

0 Kudos
3 Replies
blakebevard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think that is more of a question for Microsoft, but from my understanding since you have the software installed it should take up a license on each machine.

Have you thought about using ThinApp and AD group membership to restrict who gets access to each application?  That way you could keep the image as small as possible while still giving everyone access to the applications they need.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with what blakebevard has stated.  it's really up to the software manufacture on how they count licenses but from my experience if the Microsoft Office is installed it counts toward a license no matter if someone is using it or not.

0 Kudos
lesaisidufond
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You for your Help !!!!

So i have to investigate on Thinapp otherwise i have to create a specific Master for each combination of software ...

Or ... keep my physical stations ... lol

0 Kudos