VMware Horizon Community
stopA
Contributor
Contributor

Mac RDC Client 2, SSO, RDP 6.1

Does VMWare View combined with Mac Remote Desktop Connection Client 2 work with XP/SP3 and RDP 6.1?

I'm using VMWare View to proxy RDP connections from Macintoshes to XP workstations. If I connect to a Windows XP SP2 workstation, I get in finethe credentials entered in the VMWare View login screen are successfuly passed to the XP SP2 workstaion. If I connect to a Windows XP SP3 workstation, I don't get in finethe credentials don't appear to be completely passed through. When I look at the .rdp files found in /private/tmp, the sessions associated with XP SP2 have a hash for the password and the proper domain name for domain. The sessions associated with XP SP have the value of null for password and domain. Has anyone seen this before? If so, what was your fix?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hrmm. Never run into that. What version of Mac OS is this? AFAIK, it should connect fine.

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Quick question: is .Net installed? If so what version and any service packs?

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

0 Kudos
stopA
Contributor
Contributor

All of the Macs are running 10.5.7.

I don't think .Net is running on the Macs. Is .Net even available for Mac OS? Or, are you asking about the Windows XP target? If so, .Net Frameworks 1.1 and 2.0 are installed on the XP SP3. I'll have to check an SP2 system. What sort of impact might .Net have on this issue?

0 Kudos
dnwhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are experiencing the same problem. I am very interested in finding out if there is a resolution.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, I'm still trying to research it but it seems that there have been some reported issues with connecting to XP SP3 systems that had .NET 3.5 installed on them. Going to .NET 3.0 w/SP1 resolved the issue. I'm going to keep looking to see if I find more.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can either of you do a direct connect to the XP SP3 machine?

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/feature.html )!

0 Kudos
dnwhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The XP SP3 workstation that I am trying to connect to has .net 1.1 and

2.0 installed on it.

Regards,

Don Whittaker

IS DCS Server Provisioning

Edward Jones

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's

character, give him power." -- Abraham Lincoln

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong

enough to take everything you have". -- Thomas Jefferson

If you are not the intended recipient of this message (including attachments), or if you have received this message in error, immediately notify us and delete it and any attachments. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from Edward Jones, please send this request to messages@edwardjones.com. You must include the e-mail address that you wish not to receive e-mail communications. For important additional information related to this e-mail, visit www.edwardjones.com/US_email_disclosure

0 Kudos
stopA
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to put my Mac on the network and use Mac RDC Client 2 to connect to the XP SP 3 workstation. The RDC client asked for my credentials and successfully passed them on through to the target workstation.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which version of View -- 3.0.x or 3.1? I'm going to ask internally to see if there are any known issues. I checked our bug reports and didn't see anything.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

An additional thought: are you storing the connection info on the keychain?

0 Kudos
dnwhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In response to your question, we are running View Administrator 3.0.1 build-142034

btw - stopA and I work together so you will see replys coming to you from both of us.

0 Kudos
stopA
Contributor
Contributor

Keychain hasn't offered to store the credentials. If I have a connection open, I can check a box under preferences to store info in Keychain. However, each RDC session is connecting to a different port (localhost:<insert randomly assigned port here>), so Keychain wouldn't know to re-use the creds. Which leads to a potentially off-topic thought: Can we configure which port is associated with a desktop? I.e., my workstation is provisioned in VMWare View and I'm entitled to connect to it, is there a way I can assign a high port to sessions connecting to that workstation? I could then open Preferences for that RDC session file and store my creds there...

Where's the .rdp file coming from? Is it something VMView is generating on the fly and giving to the RDC client? Are there parameters being passed to the command launching the RDC client and then the RDC client creates the .rdp file?

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

AFAIK, if you modify the port for RDP it's a global thing (e.g., I cannot assign port X for these desktops and port Y for these other ones).

The .rdp file is created by RDC (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/starteremote.mspx)

If you do a search for "remote desktop rdp file" you'll find a few references. A few internal teams are going to see about trying to mimic the behaviour that you're seeing.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Additional random thought (since Mac is experimental on 3.0.x), have you tried a Windows (Vista, XP or 2000) client connecting to both? (so we can see if it's specific to Mac or is it a larger issue)?

0 Kudos
stopA
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about the delay in getting back, putting out other fires...

We set up a lab w/3.0.x and were able to get through fine--client device was XP SP2, VMView as the broker, XP SP3 as the target.

We've downloaded 3.1 and installed it in the lab. We'll repeat the scenarios to see what happens.

I've got another weird Mac RDC Client 2 occurence. Today and previous days, the Mac clients have all be Intel Macs. I'm on a G5 iMac, Mac OS 10.5.7, Mac RDC Client 2, Safari 3.2.3, and when I connect through the system, when the RDC Client starts, the "Computer" field is blank. Swap out the G5 iMac w/an Intel MacBook, repeat, I get connected. Do you want to keep in this thread or start another?

I checked the KB you linked to above, it covers how to launch an RDC client on XP. How does VMView Portal Launcher launch the RDC client? The process passes something to the client in order for it to know how to connect to the proxy, yes?

0 Kudos
stopA
Contributor
Contributor

Finished testing w/VMView 3.1. A Mac client can connect to an XP/SP3 target and credentials will successfully be passed to it. This scenario has worked with both the 3.0.1 and 3.1 agent installed on the target.

Work around found. Still don't understand what the problem is...

0 Kudos
jammond
Contributor
Contributor

"I've got another weird

Mac RDC Client 2 occurence. Today and previous days, the Mac clients

have all be Intel Macs. I'm on a G5 iMac, Mac OS 10.5.7, Mac RDC Client

2, Safari 3.2.3, and when I connect through the system, when the RDC

Client starts, the "Computer" field is blank. Swap out the G5 iMac w/an

Intel MacBook, repeat, I get connected."

We're seeing the same issue here, both on PPC and Intel Macs, on 10.4 and 10.5. Did you see the issue resolved in 3.1?

0 Kudos