VMware Horizon Community
Gonzala
Contributor
Contributor

MS Teams Webcam

I am having a bit of an issue with the MS Teams and webcams

When using MS Teams desktop application in an instant clone desktop, the application is not detecting any sort of connected webcam. In Teams Settings under Devices camera is indicated as None and does not allow me to change it. However all other video conferencing applications (Zoom, Skype) are able to detect the webcam without issue. The Teams web application is also able to detect the webcam without issue it just seems to be the desktop application.

This issue does not occur in Persistent desktops, however. In persistent desktops, it operates perfectly fine.

I have applied the MS Teams optimizations in Group Policy and the clients on both the persistent and instant clone desktop and both indicate that the VMware optimization is enabled. 

When connecting to the Horizon Desktop via the Horizon client the webcam is detected, the issue only occurs when connecting via our Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Clients which is the primary means of delivering the remote desktop to our users.

This issue also occurs regardless if Teams is distributed by AppVolume or installed on the Gold Image. 

I should also note that we are currently on Horizon 2111.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and how was it resolved for you?

Thank you, 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gonzala
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:

I have identified that webcams stop being detected in Teams in instant clone once the Teams Optimization GPO is enabled. Once the GPO is disabled Teams can again detect webcams BUT the performance is literally unusable. 

0 Kudos
jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of ThinOS and VMWare Horizon Client do you have installed on your Wyse 5070 thin client?

Also, if you look in Device Manager on your virtual desktop, do you see the webcam model (not the VMWare Virtual Webcam) listed there?

0 Kudos
Gonzala
Contributor
Contributor

Thins OS: 9.1.6108

Horizon Package from Dell: 2111.8.4.0.18957622.6

Device Manager shows the model information for the webcam itself. In this case Logitech HD Pro Webcam 920

0 Kudos
jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Device Manager shows the model information for the webcam itself. In this case Logitech HD Pro Webcam 920"

OK - this is likely your problem.  You need to make sure that you exclude the Logitech Webcam from USB redirection.  You can do that by going into WMS portal and modifying the settings of the policy applied to your thin clients.

jmacdaddy_0-1652125279369.png

Gonzala
Contributor
Contributor

Wow I feel dumb. Thank you! This fixed the problem. It also fixed the the issue we were having with the Zoom VDI client/plugin. 

Have to test potential impacts with the way we had to have our scanners deployed in production to see if there are any conflicts but this is super promising. 

Again thanks!

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We had the same issue for one of the users who was using USB webcam, and this solution fixed it. Thanks much @jmacdaddy 

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos