VMware Horizon Community
enso_
Contributor
Contributor

MS Teams *VDI Optimized* host client CPU 90-100%

Hello,

we're running into performance issues with MS Teams. 

Our setup:
Host client: 10zig (6000q Series), Quad Core 2GHz, 6GB RAM
Horizon View 7.13.1, Instant Clones
Teams: 1.5.00.21463 (64-bit) - VMware Media Optimized
All the media offloading and Teams GPO settings are set as recommended by Microsoft.

The issue is that as soon as a Teams video call is made or received, the 10zig (not the virtual desktop) spikes to ~90%+ and makes working within the virtual desktop nearly impossible. The video call itself however, is perfectly fine. The user just can't do anything outside of attending the video call. So at least this indicates the offloading is working.

Another issue that sometimes occurs with dual monitor setup, when closing the Teams call, one of the monitors becomes unresponsive. The applications on that screen are still *clickable* but the screen does not change to reflect that. This can only be resolved by disconnecting and then reconnecting the affected monitor from the 10Zig client. 

On the other hand, Zoom video calls are perfectly fine and do not cause a spike in CPU and users can continue working while on a video call. 

Thanks for any help with this!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Enso,

The 10zig client device does not have enough processing power to support Teams Optimization video calling.  For Teams Optimization, the minimum client requirement is 2.4 Ghz.

However, here are some suggestions to reduce CPU load on the client:

1) Use audio calling only (no video) <--Recommended 
2) If video is absolutely required, Configure CPU overuse threshold to reduce the resolution of your video (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2206/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-AB42F842-BD66-48...).  You would need to try different values to see what works for your device.
3) Use only a single monitor with Horizon desktop in window mode (not full screen)

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is it possible to restrict the threshold based on your client device?

I.E., if you are connecting from a windows client no restriction, but if I'm connecting from my dell wyse 3040, restrict it to 45%?

Will DEM help here?

0 Kudos
jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I image you could push the desired registry setting based on the environment variable %ViewClient_Type% on the virtual desktop.   If %ViewClient_Type% = Windows, no delay registry value set, otherwise set to 45%.  You could do that with either a GPO preference (but you probably have to run a gpupdate /force via a scheduled task 30 seconds after the user login), via DEM Enterprise, or by a script delivered via scheduled task set to run 30 seconds after user login.  

I have seen mixed results with scripts or GPO preferences set to execute on login because there is sometimes a delay in the View Client variables getting populated on the virtual desktop.  Hence the 30 delay.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I really wanted to do this with DEM, but the ViewClient_Type doesn't get populated like you said on login and the Horizon client property seems to be very limited.

0 Kudos