VMware Horizon Community
PeteJohns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MS Teams New Meeting experience on Horizon - rolling out now (but doesn't work?)

As per this roadmap entry, the new meeting experience is now rollout out for Horizon. This (finally) allows you to run in multiple windows as per the main Teams client. MS text:

"Once available, users will be able to view meetings and calls in separate windows from the main Microsoft Teams client. Additionally, meeting and call controls such as mute, video, chat, leave and others will now be located at the top of the meeting window so that they are always available and never block the underlying content.

• You must have Microsoft Teams Desktop client 1.5.00.11865 and above installed. You can download the Teams from below link:
  • x64msix64exe
  • You must have Agent 7.13.1 and above for Horizon 7 and Agent 2103 and above for Horizon 8
  • You must restart Teams by clicking on restart when you see the banner "Meetings and calls will open in their own windows. Restart"

"

As advised would happen by MS, this morning I received the banner across the top of the client saying 

"Restart Teams to turn on the new meeting experience. Meetings and calls will open in their own Windows. Restart"

Clicking restart, exiting the app or even logging off\ on just returns the same banner at the top upon next time, and the same old meeting experience.

Has anybody else managed to get this to work? We meet the requirements set out by MS, I'm not sure if this is a profile issue and we're not capturing the change, a client bug or the feature hasn't properly rolled out yet.

Labels (3)
13 Replies
skocatt
Contributor
Contributor

Similar issue we do experience! We do meet all requirements and after that banner (with restart appears) on Teams on our VDI, when I click it, it is just exiting (logging off) our MS Teams and nothing happens ... it does not auto start after the close ... so when I reopen it again manually, restart banner appears again in a while and clicking it means the same happens again and again ..

We are using AppVolumes to deploy it, so I am not sure if that last requirements should be done even on capture machine (I don't think so)?

- You must restart Teams by clicking on restart when you see the banner "Meetings and calls will open in their own windows. Restart"

Thanks for any advise

0 Kudos
PeteJohns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's working this morning!

I got the banner again when I logged in to ask for a restart, but when I went back in the meeting experience had changed. No other changes our end so it must have been something in the background with Microsoft as they continue to roll it out.

0 Kudos
skocatt
Contributor
Contributor

Today I haven't yet received any banner popped out in my Teams, so indeed looks as something has changed on MS site in background ... I only clicked that "restart" last Fri which closed up my Teams without reopen it again ... today it seems all fixed.

May I know if your Teams reopened after you clicked "restart" today?

Thnx

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
FirozeB_za
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

looks like a background change fixed the issue. Awaiting confirmation though (yes I have trust issues, without evidence)

0 Kudos
PeteJohns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When clicking 'restart' button in the banner it just seems to close it down, so have to manually start it again.

Been doing some testing today and:

• - Live captions work really well
  • - having the meeting in it's own window is great
  • - new powerpoint controls might be useful for some
  • Moving the meeting controls to the top will be really confusing for some, but at least it's more in line with what non-VDI people have

So improvements coming to VDI Teams but still some issues, namely:

• Teams isn't very good at selecting the last device used, so staff are constantly having audio issues
  • If you disconnect your Horizon session and reconnect, your next call will fail every time (until you exit Teams and launch it again)
  • Still cannot do Blur or Custom backgrounds 😞 #1 most requested feature in our company! Especially annoying as Zoom have been doing it in VDI for two years now
  • Cannot zoom in and out of Teams window like you can on non-VDI client
  • HID buttons on headset don't work (Skype for Business could do it years ago!)
skocatt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @PeteJohns to list your test results.

- I think there is one more and its "Audio sharing" not avail on VDI version compared to non-VDI

Another thing I would like to clarify:

Have you guys clicked that restart banner even during deploying/capturing (in case of AppVol) process of ms teams? That listed by MS as to have prepared part is quite confusing, so you are not sure if that should be done during capturing/deploying app process for VDI or if its up to user to click once and its done. I cant see the way how to do actually during the capturing process as that would probably be captured as current user anyway, so it should be up to user to click once. What does not make sense also is why user need to click it anyway, why this version simply does not brings that improvement and that's it. 🙂

0 Kudos
PeteJohns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey not sure about that @skocatt , we keep Teams in the GI rather than an appstack.

Just logged into our live desktop that still has an older version in Teams, when I then moved back to our Test pool (with newer Teams) I got the banner again. Seems a bit weird, almost like the entry isn't getting recorded in the FSLogix part. When I login a second time to the Test pool the banner doesn't appear, suggesting something is being captured! Sorry that doesn't help at all but the behaviour does seem strange 🙂

Small hint that MS are working on blurred backgrounds for VDI in a non Azure Desktop - Re: Background blur in GA on Microsoft Teams on Azure Virtual Desktop and Windows 365 - Page 2 - Mic...

0 Kudos
skocatt
Contributor
Contributor

@PeteJohns Thanks. I do confirm the same behaviour. I have tried to downgrade Teams for 11163 version, then upgrade it back for 11865 and whenever I do it I am getting that banner again (same as you when you are switching between the pools with differ versions of Teams), so I am not also sure where that changes should be captured (btw we do also capture the Teams settings by fslogix). So it points again for MS sites (tenant) or so that change is being done.

At least that word "restart" should be changed by MS as that is totally confusing when click it means to just kill the app, not auto start again (need to be started manually again).

And again, this part below and last step "You must restart Teams .... bla bla" as part of "What you need to prepare" sounds like you need to have done all those steps during deployment, in your case before finish GI, in our case before finish appstack, but that would not make any sense as that would be for user settings anyway

What you need to do to prepare:

•  You must have Microsoft Teams Desktop client 1.5.00.11865 and above installed. You can download the Teams from below link:
  • You must have Agent 7.13.1 and above for Horizon 7 and Agent 2103 and above for Horizon 8
  • You must restart Teams by clicking on restart when you see the banner "Meetings and calls will open in their own windows. Restart"

Thanks for hint btw 😉

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@PeteJohns 

GIVE USE HID CONTROL!

People hardly use video but use audio all the time! Would be nice if these fancy headset could actually pickup and hang up a call like they could in S4B!

0 Kudos
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello All,

Any update on this case? We are facing the same problem with the warning "You must restart Teams". Is has something to do with the Teams optimalization. We are looking for a key to hide or suppress the warning for users on VDI. 

Tested also with the newest version of Teams. The same message will be showing.... 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
skocatt
Contributor
Contributor

Actually no issues since this message appeared and clicked restart (means it closes the Teams only, so you need to start it again)

As far as I know there is not any key to suppress that thing as that all happens in Teams background, not locally. The proof can be that even it worked fine for months, I have received or saw that message on my Teams once again (which I ignored it) and since then all fine ... but anyway, I think its MS who triggers that message to your Teams, so if there will any other upgrade for Teams (on VDI, means installed with both params -ALLUSER -ALLUSERS), they would trigger the same message to apply new features.

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had a few users that clicking the "Restart Teams" didn't do anything. We resolved the issue by deploying a job that completely uninstalls Teams, deletes any folders left behind and then re-installs the latest version of Teams with the -ALLUSER -ALLUSERS switches. Since then, we have been fine. 

0 Kudos
gotsquat
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings!

Has anyone found a solution to this issue.  We are 1 week from deployment to production and still facing this issue.  It is rather frustrating. We are using Instant Clones with agent 2206 on windows 10 21h2 with DEM 2206 with the latest version of Teams.  Teams is deployed on the GI, no abnner issues if we logon to the GI directly, only when deploying to instant clone pools.  We have a ticket opened with Vmware and they are blaming Microsoft, here is their response.  Funny that they blame MS when this is only happening on their product (DEM/Instant Clones).  

VMware:  The problem is that MS Teams does not have the correct detection of the virtual machine configs it is running inside, in order to display the correct UI layouts. MS Teams has disabled certain features while it's running in a physical machine, and that means the environment detection is not working as expected.

The criteria used by MS Teams are 1) whether it's running in a VDI environment, and 2) whether Media Optimization is installed and enabled, by checking for the existence of the regkey KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\VMware, Inc.\VMware WebRTCRedir, and then checking whether the value of this regkey is "1". While these settings are present in a VDI (clone) environment and are together with Media Optimization available and enabled.

That is why in this case, as mentioned above, you will need to contact Microsoft Support for further investigation related to the banner and the “New Meeting Experience” Feature that is not being applied to your environment.

our DEM config:

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Teams

[IncludeFolderTrees]
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\IdentityCache
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Teams
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin
<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin
<LocalAppData>\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy
<LocalAppData>\SquirrelTemp
<AppData>\Microsoft\Teams

[ExcludeFolderTrees]