VMware Horizon Community
Wesley-VKAE
Contributor
Contributor

MS Teams / MS Edge / Chrome Freeze after Disconnect / Connect (W11)

Hi All,

i'm having a strange issue and maybe some of you have the same or know a way of fixing it.

situation : 

we are upgrading our VDI Environment from W10 to W11 and having a strange issue, if teams , chrome , edge (those are the once i can confirm that have the issue) are open and we disconnect our session and reconnect (a display change i would assume triggers it) the apps hang but only visually , they actually still work in the background but the image is frozen. if we just wait long enough (let say about 5min) it pulls trough and we can continue with the apps.

issue did not happen all the time we used W10 , also we upgraded our horizon server to the latest version and we still have the problem.

- Latest Win 11 (22H2 22621.525)

- Horizon Version 2212 (8.8.0 build - 21073894)

- vGPU RTQ 8000 Q3 Profile

the issue also happens when not using Horizon but connecting directly with RDP

Regards

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Never seen it, but can you see if disabling/uninstalling SVGA driver makes a difference?

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
akjr21
Contributor
Contributor

having the exact same issue

0 Kudos
Wesley-VKAE
Contributor
Contributor

SVGA is not installed nor configured on the VM since i'm using VGPU's

In line of testing i could do the exact opposite that you propose and remove my vGPU and add the vmware svga driver to see if that does work, I need those vGPU's because we are working with CAD on the VDI machines but if i can narrow  it down to the vGPU been active i could create a case with NVidia for this,  keep you posted.

0 Kudos
akjr21
Contributor
Contributor

We have the exact same set up I have removed the video card from one of the machines to test and issue persists even without the video card or the driver installed.  I am in the process of upgrading to 8.9 (2303). I just upgraded the servers tonight tomorrow I’ll update some of the agents and let you know if it makes a difference.

0 Kudos
Wesley-VKAE
Contributor
Contributor

seems like it is useless for me to try without vGPU and SVGA driver installed then ?

i have upgraded to the latest version of horizon last week and issue still persists , i'm on 2212 ...

0 Kudos
akjr21
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded to 2303 and have the same issue.

0 Kudos
BenTrojahn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does it start working after resizing the window?  We had similar screen paint issue at reconnect, but it was the whole screen not specific apps.

As test, you can try disabling hardware acceleration and any redirection for the affected apps

0 Kudos
jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of ESXi are you on?

What are the NVidia driver versions on the virtual desktops and on the ESXi hosts?

0 Kudos
Wesley-VKAE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

my ESX Version for all nodes in the cluster is currently : 7.0.3, 20328353

Nvidia Bootbank driver : 510.85.03-1OEM.702.0.0.17630552

VM Guest driver (corresponding to bootbank) : 513.46_grid_win10_win11_server2019_server2022_64bit_international

i have to mention , you could say hey man , you are on older versions ... yes i am , i'm having an open case with NVidia for more than a year now (there is another topic on this forum about it) where we expierence Host failure due to a GPU that causes all VM's on that GPU to go in black screen , therefore they created a custom driver to help resolve the issue. it is actually the 3rd custom driver now that we have from NVidia and some parameters we have to follow. i believe this is version 13.4 on there drivers portal ?? the issue has not happend since the latest driver and parameter settings that got provided by them. they send us an email last week we should upgrade to the latest versions on there driver portal because they implemented the fix in these drivers. this is something i was planning of doing but step by step , and first in a sandbox host that i have running ... why you asking ?

0 Kudos
Wesley-VKAE
Contributor
Contributor

resizing the window does not help no ... the problem is not always precent also , hard to simulate it ... the one time we loging after disconnect it works , other times it won't ... resizing the screen (windowed , full screen) has no affect on windows itself , that keeps working , it is specific for a few apps (so your iddea of hardware acceleration could be a direction to follow ... but then again we need it ...

0 Kudos
mhulst
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just made a account to only reply on this topic. We have the same issue as you're having, but with a whole different setup.

Proxmox Hypervisor 7.4
Nvidia T4 videocard
Windows 11 Enterprise N 22H2 22621.674
Nvidia driver 528.24

We have the exact problem:

• connect to VM with RDP
  • open chrome or word
  • close rdp connect
  • connect again 

Window is frozen for 2-3 minutes and then it starts working again. When we disable hardware accelaration for these applications it works normally. With firefox we do not have this issue tho. Still trying to find a solution, but its really tough to find.

0 Kudos
Corsaire01
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

same happening here.

We have 30 VDI VMs with vGPU and when disconnection Horizon session (not closing Windows session) then reconnecting the Horizon client, everything is moving around fine EXCEPT Microsoft Teams.

Teams is not crashed since you can be seen as connected and you can se messages coming in, but you can't do anything with it since it does not react to clicks or keyboard.

The only solution is to right click in the taskbar to close Teams and restart it.

Opened a case with VMware but they did not gave much a solution as I quote : this issue is caused due to the limitation of Microsoft Teams application. It seems that the Teams session gets stuck when reconnected to the VM session and it requires Teams app to be restarted.

It is true that Microsoft pushed in their application lots of "optimizations" that bypasses the standard desktop processes to gain performance and it seems not to be very well executed when having it on a VDI...

0 Kudos