VMware Horizon Community
Chris_Brown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MMR not working on a direct-connected VDI

Hi,

According to the release notes of Horizon View 6.0.2, MMR is supported on VADC (Direct-Connect Agent), but so far, I have not been able to get it working. Strange thing is that when I connect to one of those desktops via the broker, MMR works. I am using a Win 7 x64 VDI with latest VMware Agents installed. Also, the View Connection Server and View Composer Server have the latest versions installed and the client has the latest View Client installed. There are no firewall rules that block the MMR traffic either, because for testing purposes I disabled the firewall on server side, VDI side AND client side. Anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you apply the group policy setting to enable it? Unlike the full connection broker, there is no admin UI to set this policy at connection time so it must be configured by GPO. From view_agent_direct_connection.adm:

Multimedia redirection (MMR) Enabled

Determines whether MMR is enabled for client systems. MMR is a Microsoft DirectShow filter that forwards multimedia data from specific codecs on View desktops directly through a TCP socket to the client system. The data is then decoded directly on the client system, where it is played. The default value is disabled.

MMR does not work correctly if the client system's video display hardware does not have overlay support. Client systems may have insufficient resources to handle local multimedia decoding.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you apply the group policy setting to enable it? Unlike the full connection broker, there is no admin UI to set this policy at connection time so it must be configured by GPO. From view_agent_direct_connection.adm:

Multimedia redirection (MMR) Enabled

Determines whether MMR is enabled for client systems. MMR is a Microsoft DirectShow filter that forwards multimedia data from specific codecs on View desktops directly through a TCP socket to the client system. The data is then decoded directly on the client system, where it is played. The default value is disabled.

MMR does not work correctly if the client system's video display hardware does not have overlay support. Client systems may have insufficient resources to handle local multimedia decoding.

0 Kudos
Chris_Brown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mpryor,

Thank you very much for your help. That was spot on :-). I imported the Direct-Connect template, enabled MMR and now it works like a charm! Somehow I totally overlooked that setting.

Cheers,

Chris