VMware Horizon Community
essisim
Contributor
Contributor

Lync 2013 VDI plugin only works with RDP protocol

Hi,

we have tried all day making the VDI plugin for Lync 2013 work with PCoIP protocol, but we only get it working with RDP.

We cannot find any information if there are any firewall ports that needs to be opened etc...has anyone been able to get this working successfully? Mapping up the local audio device via PCoIP?

Our Lync server is 2013, EnableMediaRedirection set to TRUE, the client is 32 bit, win 7 SP1, everything is in place...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

63 Replies
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you let me know the guest OS? It also needs to be Win 7 SP1.

Do you have the Microsoft Lync VDI Plug-in installed on the client system?

Are you using the Windows Client version 5.3?

Are you running View 5.2 on the Connection Server and Agent?

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
essisim
Contributor
Contributor

Win 7 SP1 Client with 32bits VDI plugin installed. (Tried multiple computers)

Version 5.3 Vmware view client.

Connection server and agent is on View 5.2

So in short, Yes to all Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, great. And just to confirm, the guest OS in the virtual desktop is Win 7 SP1 as well?

Are you connecting to this desktop from an internal client? If so, is port 32111 open between the client system and the desktop?

-Mike

0 Kudos
essisim
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual desktop is also Win 7 SP1 yes.

We are connecting from outside. Port 32111 is open and working (tried telnet command).

RDP works with no issues from outside..

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmm. OK. Is port 32111 open from the Security Server to the virtual desktop subnet? I'm not sure if this is the test that you ran but to test this connection you can telnet from the SS to one of the virtual desktops on that port.

Also, there is a requirement that the certificate generated during the install of the Lync server be installed in the Trusted Root Certificate store on the client system. Is this cert installed there?

-Mike

0 Kudos
essisim
Contributor
Contributor

Mike,

telnet from SS (in DMZ) to a Virtual desktop works fine.

Certificate is also in place on the client.

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well, that was the easy stuff. Smiley Wink

Can you give me a little more detail on what's not working? Is the PCoIP session working OK otherwise?

Is Lync working, just not performing well?

-Mike

0 Kudos
essisim
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP is working properly, USB redirection also works fine.

Lync chat etc is also working fine, but when starting the lync client, you only get the "info" button in the lower right corner.

When connected to RDP you get the icon for "two monitors" and a green check box after entering authentication again.

0 Kudos
Josh_k
Contributor
Contributor

The bit-ness of Lync needs to match that of the View Desktop.  Can you confirm that they match?

0 Kudos
essisim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Josh,

this is our "setup":

My pc -> Windows 7 x64 Enterprise with lyncvdi plugin installed.

View vm -> Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

View vm has Office 2007 - 32bit

View vm has Lync 2013 Client - 32bit (which it must have because of Office version)

0 Kudos
Josh_k
Contributor
Contributor

But that's the thing.  You will have to use 64 bit Office if your View vm is x64.

0 Kudos
essisim
Contributor
Contributor

Great....

And there is of course no support for this if you are sitting on a Mac? Any plans for this in the feature? To me it seems like too much stuff has to be in place for our average user to logon from home and use LYNC with PCoIP. (IE certificates, lyncvdi plugin, client OS etc etc)..

0 Kudos
Josh_k
Contributor
Contributor

For the record:

Using a godaddy cert I didn't have to import into I.E.

I didn't have to add registry entries either.

0 Kudos
j_rodstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Josh,

The bit-ness is a requirement according to MS TechNet articles released with the VDI plugin.  However, that does not seem to be indicated as necessary when using PCoIP as indicated in this guide:  http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmware-horizon-view-microsoft-lync-install-configure.pdf

If I am reading it correctly, essisim's configuration should be covered.

However, I am wondering if there are any ports that need to be opened between the client pc and security server before it hits the Lync 2013 server.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Josh_k
Contributor
Contributor

We did not have to open any new ports on the firewall to support the plug-in.

I understand that the document doesn't specifically mention the Office bit-ness.  All I can say is I had everything setup the way the document describes and it didn't work.  Once I matched my Lync client bit-ness to the O.S. (Win 7 Sp1 64 bit) it started working.

I'm only speaking from my experiences and trying to help.  That document is a v1.0 so there is potentially some tweaking needed.

0 Kudos
j_rodstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No worries, I am having the same issue, but have not changed the Bit-ness.  For clarification:

1.  Client PC is Windows 7 SP1 64-bit with Lync 2013 32-bit VDI plugin installed

2.  Horizon View Client on Client PC is 64-bit

3.  VM is Windows 7 SP1 64-bit with Office 2013 32-bit installed.

I would need to change the Office 2013 install in the VM to be 64-bit for it to work.  Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Josh_k
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you would need to change your Office to 64-bit.  I spent quite some time banging my head against the wall until I opened a support case with VMware and they suggested that.

Before I changed Office to 64 bit RDP worked, but I wanted to use PCOIP.

Please let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
j_rodstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cool.  Will try this shortly and report the results.

0 Kudos
chulerico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

make sure you install the sound driver from teradici,

Sam

0 Kudos