VMware Horizon Community
erickbm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lowering the number of spare machines on an existing pool

I have a floating linked clone pool with a max of 400 desktops and 400 spare machines to have them all available at one time.

Due to a change in policy, we are needing to change the 400 spare machines to 100. The issue is when I make this change, nothing happens. I have tried removing desktops and refreshing desktops, but they all come back as available instead of provisioned. Is there a way to make this work like a new pool created with these settings on an existing pool?

View 6.1.1

Erick Marshall vExpert 15/16, VCAP-DTA, VCPx3, MCSE, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx3, MCPx2, A+, Network+, UCP
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaken the spare number only controls how many machines are built and ready at all times.    The power policy would be the one to control the status of available vs provisioned.   If you are using "ensure machines are powered on" then every machine in the pool will be up and running vs "power off" which breaks machines online and offline based on demand.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaken the spare number only controls how many machines are built and ready at all times.    The power policy would be the one to control the status of available vs provisioned.   If you are using "ensure machines are powered on" then every machine in the pool will be up and running vs "power off" which breaks machines online and offline based on demand.

erickbm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to get this to work by turning the power policy to "Take no power action" and removing the VMs. They were recreated, customized and powered off.

Erick Marshall vExpert 15/16, VCAP-DTA, VCPx3, MCSE, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx3, MCPx2, A+, Network+, UCP
0 Kudos