VMware Horizon Community
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Lower Memory Disk and Ram usuage

Hi

Does anyone do anything to lower browsers large memory and sometime disk io foot print. I have a few users that can use 5-6gb of memory in chrome on a daily basis while most people are using  2-3GB in similar positions. These are provisioned with App Volumes with no writable or persistent disks, so they aren't installing any extra plugins, probably just excessive amount of tabs. Is the only solution user training?

Its enough in some case where its causing paging to occur in desktops that have limited ram.

4 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'd be very interested to see if a solution exists as we are dealing with the same thing. As we move to SaaS applications that are in the browser we are seeing more of this. Our new norm is 8 GB for a base VM with some having 12 GB.

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

We are doing the same now, and some of the users that are in our GB desktops are running consistently at 90-95%, its only 40 desktops but adding 4gb is another 160 GB of RAM! I narrowed down one of the use case where there is memory leak went we went to our local ticket management software. I'm hoping our upgrade helps

I'm hoping at one point horizon can at least do some sort of hot add for memory and cpu in a desktop pool for users that really need it.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We use Liquidware Stratusphere and it's been helpful for identifying what's normal versus application memory leaks.

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

We do to, if anyone doesn't have it, I would recommend it. Its a bit overwhelming at first, and the interface needs work, but it gets alot more reliable metrics than anything else I've seen.

0 Kudos