VMware Horizon Community
Guardian_Chuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lotus Notes 8.5.2 Win 7 Time Issue (View 4.6)

Hello,

One more issue that is driving me nuts.  When connecting from a xp client to a win 7 virtual desktop, the "DynamicDaylightTimeDisabled" regkey (in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]) is getting set to 1.  The system time is correct.  This breaks the time in the Lotus Notes Client calendar.  Interestingly enough, if you start lotus notes with the /basic switch (which I believe does not use the eclipse framework) the calendar is fine.

Manually changing the time zone (on the virtual desktop) and changing it back before starting notes corrects the issue, as does updating the registry entry.  Since the key is changed at connection, a startup script or group policy will not help.

I can find some links discussing this problem, just no solution....Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The patch has resolved the issue.  I specifically asked VMware Support if I could provide the patch to you or anyone else.  For obvious reasons, they said no.  However, they say you (and anyone else) can open a SR to get the patch.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue.  The DynamicDaylightTimeDisabled key seems to affect Java, which is why it only affects the Note client when not running in Basic mode.  I haven't opened a case with Microsoft yet.  I first thought it might be a Group Policy issue, but I confirmed that a physical Win 7 PC in the same AD OU does not exhibit the problem, so I haven't decided whether to open a case with Microsoft or VMware yet.  Have you made any progress on the issue?

To clarify, there are three values that are getting changed: DaylightName, StandardName, and DynamicDaylightTimeDisabled.  However, as you pointed out, only DynamicDaylightTimeDisabled seems to affect the Notes client.

You can force the values to reset themselves to the correct value by changing your time zone in Windows and then setting it back to the correct time zone.

0 Kudos
Guardian_Chuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No resolution. I am convinced it is a bug in the vmclient. I may try to open a case with VM as I doubt Microsoft is responsible here. I am using a trial licesne so not sure if they will open a case or not.

Yes exact same issue and changing the time zone corrects.

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For whatever it's worth, I am not using a PC with the View Client.  I am using a Teradici-based Wyse P20 thin client.

0 Kudos
Guardian_Chuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have heard of this issue with both wyse and xp endpoints. For me the endpoints are all xp. Connecting with the same endpoint with rdp does not flip the registry settings which is why I suspect the view client.

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like you're on to something.  You may already know this, but after reading your response, I tried this.  I verified that DynamicDaylightTimeDisabled was set to 0 as it should be, then disconnected my PCoIP session, reconnected, and checked the value of DynamicDaylightTimeDisabled.  It was changed back to 1.  So it seems you're right - it's some type of VMware issue.  If you can't open a ticket, let me know and I'll open it.  We have support.  Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
Guardian_Chuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I did the same test. Connecting with RDP does not flip the key,

however PCoIP does every time. I am not sure when I will be able to pursue

(only have a small trial going here), if you open a case, please update!

Likewise, if I get anywhere, I will do the same.

To: <cwiggins@guardian.com>

Date: 04/28/2011 12:57 PM

Subject: New message: "Lotus Notes

8.5.2 Win 7 Time Issue (View 4.6)"

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Case opened.  I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Guardian_Chuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any update?  Nothing on this end .....

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually, yes.  I was supposed to receive a link to a patched View Agent last week, but since the VMware web site upgrade, nothing seems to work for them anymore.  I upload logs via the web, they can't find them.  They need to send me a link, they can't.  Here's what I got about an hour and a half ago:

"they changed the way we're required to link attachments, you should have got a separate email from noreply@vmware.com or something like that.  Let me know if you got this as it was sent at the same time as my last email."

I responded immediately, but as of yet, still nothing.  The patched agent is supposed to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, I finally got the email with the link, so I've downloaded the patch and will be testing it today (the new build number is 449521).  I'll let you know the results.

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The patch has resolved the issue.  I specifically asked VMware Support if I could provide the patch to you or anyone else.  For obvious reasons, they said no.  However, they say you (and anyone else) can open a SR to get the patch.

0 Kudos
Guardian_Chuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! I will contact them.

0 Kudos