VMware Horizon Community
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Losing TCP/IP printers after recompose

This has been going on for some time and I can't figure out a resolution. A little history first: 

We use location based printing to map printers to most of our users. However a specific group of users connects to a printer that has a number of profiles associated with it for different letter head papers etc. Support has already told us that this is simply not supported with location based printing. So we removed that printer and those users from the GPO. 

Instead we manually added the printer as a local TCP/IP printer and imported their profiles etc. Things work fine until recompose. Then the printer is lost. This happens for any user with a TCP/IP installed printer and it creates a lot of work for our help desk after recomposing the pools.

Is there any way to persist these printers through recompose? I've tried using ThinPrint, which I know is going away, and VMware integrated print without success.

FYI We are on Horizon 7.11 and vSphere 6.7 U3. We are currently using linked clones and have not implemented UEM yet.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm bringing this back up to see if anyone has any ideas since I last posted it in December. We're on Horizon 7.13 now and still have this issue. User's TCP/IP connected printers disappear after every recompose.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You would need DEM, but I'm not even sure that will work, I tried a workaround once and it worked but made logins painful. @DEMdev  has this ever been considered?

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Knowing that instant clones are the future if we want to upgrade to Horizon 8, we will be looking at moving away from linked clones, but will that help in this situation? I understand we'd need to use DEM at that point anyway.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @sjesse,

Adding support for TCP/IP printers to DEM is not on our roadmap. I hardly know anything about printer management (apart from that it's a hairy topic), so I don't expect that to change any time soon...

0 Kudos