VMware Horizon Community
wowitsdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looking to migrate to all-new Horizon- can I use the same vCenter?

Howdy, folks. I'll try to keep the backstory brief.

My Horizon (7.5.x, Linked-Clones + Standalones, VCSA 6.0, Roaming Profiles, Horizon Standard) is on an old IP space that we are trying to get off of. It turns out that Re-IPing a Horizon is not supported, so fine- I have to make a new one.

Here is what I have:

VCSA 6.0

Update Mgr on Win2012R2

Composer on 2012 R2

2x Connection Servers on 2012 R2

SQL on 2012 R2 for DBs

File on 2012 R2 for Profiles, ThinApp etc

Anyway, what I'm thinking is I can keep/reuse the File and SQL Servers (new, separate Composer, Event DBs, of course). I know I have to build new Connection and Composer servers.

My biggest question is this: Do I need to build a new vCenter for this new Horizon system? Or can I use the existing vCenter? I would rather do that if I can, because a new vCenter brings additional complexity as far as migrating hosts, networking, etc.

I keep seeing places saying Composer and vCenter is a 1-1 relationship- but I feel like that means Composer can't talk to 2 vCenters, but maybe not 1 vCenter handling 2 Composers. I'm a bit hardware constrained- I don't have a bunch of compute laying around that I could use.

I did create a case with support and they said 1 vCenter was ok to run 2 composers, but the rep seemed generally a little tentative, so I wanted to get some confirmation before I blow my environment up.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need a dedicated vcenter for each horizon instance, having two talk to each other could cause problems, and I know its not supported as I asked support myself a few years ago.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need a dedicated vcenter for each horizon instance, having two talk to each other could cause problems, and I know its not supported as I asked support myself a few years ago.

wowitsdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Confirmed with support who directed me here- https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.8/horizon-architecture-planning.pdf .

Thank you.sjesse

0 Kudos