VMware Horizon Community
Doug18384
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for a quad monitor zero client pcoip workstation device.

We are working on moving workstations to VDI, but having trouble with finding a zero client that will support quad monitors.  I have looked at the Clear Cube l9440, but the cost will not allow us to go in that direction.  We have tried the mini dvi converters and find that the third and forth monitors run very slow.  We have just upgraded to all VmWare to 5.0.  Any help or suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With View 5.0 you can do some things with virtualized 3D acceleration and also install offload cards from Teradici - This may speed up the additional 2 monitors and give you the extra video performance you require on the more cost effective clients.  I'm not sure if the cards are available yet - I think I heard November during a discussion with someone from Teradici...

ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, please note that you not only need View 5.0 but also ESXi 5.0 to do the 3D acceleration.

0 Kudos
mcfadyenj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

None of the 3D stuff will help you with Quad monitor. It is only supported with dual monitor. The 3D support we added in 5.x is targeted at non workstation class workloads and more for Basic 3D. For workstation class graphics you will want something like what is include below ( Not yet available ).

From the client side. I do not think you will find a cost effective zero client to meet your needs. Although some are quad head capable they really are two devices munged together. I would look at the HP one mentioned below or one of the other traditional clients out there that natively support Quad heads. You will want some reasonable horse power on the client side to handle the decode and output to the display. Keep in mind, when using a Y cable you are asking the GPU to do something it was not really intended to do.

0 Kudos
johnhearns
Contributor
Contributor

Amulet Hotkey should be able to help you.

They have a quad monitor client, model DXR4IP

http://www.amulethotkey.com/products/dxr4ip

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The quad Amulet client will not work with view since its basically 2 tera-chips and 2 PCoIP streams to accomplish the 4 monitors and that does not work with View today.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos