VMware Horizon Community
Schuylercat
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for VMWare feedback: Horizon (all versions) fail to install Windows 11 device

HP 14-dq1xxx laptop, I3 processor, 16 GB ram, 1TB SSD, Windows 11 V. 21H2

Originally installed Horizon 7 when the laptop was running Windows 10. Worked perfectly. I upgraded to Win 11 and experienced no issues: everything worked perfectly.

Got an update notification for Horizon to update from V7 to V8 (2106). Update failed, could not roll back, and have tried every version of Horizon client - all fail.

I see in the compatibility matrix that Win 11 21H2 is supported by Horizion 2106. Performed a complete de-install, deleted original directories, and tried a clean start with 2106. Fail.

Fail fail fail.

Anyone have ideas? Would be nice is VMWare chimed in here... 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Schuylercat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for getting back - this wasn't the issue. I updated the C++ runtimes and it didn't help. I also disabled antivirus, pulled out the MSI file and tried to run it independently, disabled the installation of the features included on the install popup: nothing made a difference for me until I found a tip buried in a thread out in the wild that worked. I will assert that this seems a ridiculously simple thing to miss, and I'm baffled VMWare missed it in their install routines. Pretty dumb failure.

That said: VMWare Horizon 8 (2106) works just fine on Windows 11 Home V. 21H2. I have it running on 2 different (but both HP) laptops, no hiccups or issues. Your experience may vary. 

0 Kudos
Topstep1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try deleting the contents of this folder:

"C:\ProgramData\Package Cache"

THEN try to INSTALL the client and let me know what happens, please.

0 Kudos