VMware Horizon Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Location based printing, change for the worse, is there a work around?

We have been using location based printing for nearly two years and had it setup as shown below. You will notice that the Printer Driver column is filled in with the UNC path to the printer on our windows print server. The advantage of this is any settings on the printer are preserved. For example, if a printer on the print server is setup for duplex, when this printer is mapped to the View session it defaults to duplex.

Old.png

We recently upgraded to the newest version of the location based printing DLL (TPVMGPoACmap.dll). We can no longer structure location based printing as shown above. Instead we were forced into the structure shown below. Printers map to View sessions but settings are not preserved. For example, if a printer is setup for duplex on the print server, it will default to single sided in the View session. If we attempt to change the Printer Driver column to \\printserv\NameOfPrinter we cannot, it will not accept this format any longer.

New.png

Is there a work around for this?

Dave

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have set up defaults for printers using USB redirection by creating a fake local printer on the gold image with the same driver, setting the defaults, and then deleting the fake local printer. It might be worth trying that.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I did open a case with VMWare on this. The work around is to go back to the previous version of the location based printing DLL. To get this DLL I had to install View 5.2 and dig down in the folder structure to find it. Once I registered the older DLL I could once again point location based printers to my print server for their drivers which also brings down the proper settings.

VMWare will be talking to Cortado who they license this technology through to see if this can be fixed in a future release.

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you please let me know the case details? I will check whether there is an internal case opened for this.

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks
0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My case number was 15640278704

If you need any more details, let me know

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for providing the details.View 6.0 does not support UNC path. We have communicated this feature request to Cortado.

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks
0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for letting Cortado know about this need. Without supporting UNC paths for printer drivers, there a host of printer features that cannot be supported including duplex printing, turning off notifications, and add-ons like extra paper trays. Lack of support for duplex printing alone is huge and will cost our school district money. The two printers in our High School library print about 30,000 pages each year. Some of these are just one page print jobs but many of them are multi-page. This will mean the difference between using 30,000 sheets of paper each year and 20,000 when duplex is the default. That is a savings of 10,000 sheets or 20 reams or 2 full boxes of paper.

0 Kudos
BobSutter
Contributor
Contributor

Has there been any update on this? I to am now stuck as I cannot make any changes to my policy now that we have upgraded everything to 6.0. Pretty frustrating that I am now going back and installing 5.3 just to get one .dll file. Just hoping it will be corrected soon. !

0 Kudos