VMware Horizon Community
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Location Based resource allocation

Hello,

I am trying to find out if there is a way that others are using VMware View in education class room environments?

When students sit a Thin Client in the Math class, we only want that student to see and have access to the Math resource pool.

OR maybe the thin clients in the Math room only have access to the Math resource pool. Then when same student changes class room to Biology class, only has access to the Biology resource.

Just checking if anyone has comments...

I've been looking at this KIOSK mode doc.

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-C09E1E68-589...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
leaffan
Contributor
Contributor

For clarification, do you want to use VMware Resource Pools within vCenter?

If so, you can pre-create Resource Pools and when you create your Pools in View Manager you can select the Resource Pool instead of the Cluster.

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response, but no.  I am referring to setting up a View connection server configuration that will allow us to specify virutal desktop resource pool for specific location of clients.

0 Kudos
stimmons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your thin clients are windows based, you can use the group policy ADM file for the client to force particular thin clients to connect to a particular pool after log on.

1. Add all the Thin Clients in this particular room to an Active Directory Group
  2. Create the Group Policy Object with the ADM file settings for the View Pool
  3. Add group with read rights to the group policy

You can even disable SSO (single sign on) and setup an account which would log each thin client into the pool but still require a student to log into the log on screen. To do this, you would have to setup the pool to allow multiple log ons by the same user.

All of this depends upon your type of thin client device.

0 Kudos