VMware Horizon Community
danL1979
Contributor
Contributor

Location Based Printing - Questions

I have a couple of questions concerning Location Based Printing...

I am testing how to set up Location Based Printing in our organization, and I'm trying to figure out different ways to specify which desktops get which printers.

Currently, I am getting it to work okay with All Wildcards specified in the GP configuration, but when I try to specify an IP Range, I cannot get it to work.  That is my first question.  How does the IP Range work?

I've tried specifying the IP range of the Wyse P20 devices, as well as specifying the IP range of the view desktops.  Both seem to fail.

The P20's are getting IPs in the 10.132.22.0-255 range, and the desktops are getting IPs in the 10.132.24.0-255 range.

In the GP config, I've specified all of the following, but am not getting a printer to show up.

"10.132.22.0-10.132.22.255"

"10.132.24.0-10.132.24.255"

"10.132.22.0-10.132.24.255"

"10.132.0.0-10.132.255.255"

"10.132.22.0/24"

"10.132.24.0/24"

None of these work.  Again, though, I CAN get a printer to show up with this field wildcarded.

Second question...I haven't seemed to figure out the Groups part of the "User/Group" field.  I can specify a user just fine (after figuring out it is case sensitive to how they log on)...but I can't figure out the Group specification.  Is this a local group to the desktop, or can it be a domain group?  I've tried both, but can't seem to figure that out either.

What groups can you specify and how?

Thanks in advance for reading this and trying to help me out!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
danL1979
Contributor
Contributor

Oh...and for the IP ranges, I'm typing them in without the quotes into the GP config area.

0 Kudos
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is a long way from being an answer to your question but just thought I'd share how I handle location based printing. We run an MPLS network with each geographical site on a different subnet, 10.160.x.x, 10.170.x.x etc. I've setup a VBScript which runs at login via GPO which pulls the connecting client IP address from the registry of the VM. There's a localisation document by VMware that explains what keys are where, but I'm on my iPhone at the mo so can't post a link. Anyway, I then strip the IP down to the first two octets as these identify which site the user is connecting from. The script then runs a simple if IP = 10.160 then map x, y & z printers, else if IP = 10.170 then map a, b & c printers. The printers are mapped via UNC. The same script also incorporates network drive mappings.  As I said, it doesn't answer your question using the actual location based printing GPO. I started looking at this and then went down the scripting route as I just couldn't find any documentation on it or examples!  Give me a shout if you want any further info on the above.  Cheers.

0 Kudos
danL1979
Contributor
Contributor

OK, here's an answer to part of question 1, and all of question 2...

After several searches on the internet, I ran "tpautoconnect -v" to reveal what groups are listed as me being a part of, and what IP it is basing it's configuration off of.

Unfortunately, in the IP area, it lists "IP=;" and that's it.  Nothing else.  It doesn't know any IP.  This is why it's failing...but I have no idea how to fix it so the ThinPrint service, or whatever controls that list, knows what IP I have.

However, question 2 has an answer.  If you are specifying a local security group, use the syntax "\\Builtin\Administrators" (This specifies the builtin Administrators group)

For domain, use the syntax "\\DOMAINNAME\Domain Users" (Where DOMAINNAME is the name of your domain, and the second part specifies any domain group that you want to specify)

0 Kudos