VMware Horizon Community
david33040
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Local printer settings

We have a system that basically acts as a cash register. It has a one of those serial receipt printers attached to com1.

The problem is our system won't print using the "tp output gateway" driver. If I change it to the "series 90" driver (the actual printer driver) it prints fine.

Problem is if we reboot or disconnect the VM it rebuilds the printer and defaults to "tp output gateway" driver

Is there a way to make the vm default to a different driver other than 'tp output gateway"?

Or, what would cause tp output gateway not to work??

If anyone has access to some more detailed documentation on virtual printing, that would be nice. They give only one page of info in the admin guide...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is this a situation where the software needs a static port in order to function correctly? Would using disconnect and logoff work instead of simply disconnecting?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there any other need for the universal driver? If not why not remove the universal driver and try utilizing the native driver and printer redirection through RDP?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

david33040
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

feel silly asking this but where the heck does the universal driver come from? Don't know how to remove it....

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The universal driver as I call it is really the virtual printing option from VMware. To remove it you could go into add/remove and modify your agent install to remove virtual printing. Make sure that the connection PC and the Virtual Machine have the same fully functional driver for the printer in question and then try to utilize the native RDP redirection.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The universal driver is an OEMed ThinPrint .Print client engine. It uses virtual channels in RDP. You can disable it through the installation of client/agent.

Blog: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth

david33040
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

almost there... I've got it to stay with the series 90 driver after removing virtual printing but now it keeps hopping ports.

I get a TS034 com1

if I disconnect and connect again it creates a new port called TS035 com1 and makes the TS034 inactive.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is this a situation where the software needs a static port in order to function correctly? Would using disconnect and logoff work instead of simply disconnecting?

0 Kudos
david33040
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's not that the port has to be static, its that the printer keeps choosing the inactive port instead of the active one. If a new port TS037 is created, that is fine. Problem is the new port is created and the printer is trying to still use TS036, which has become inactive.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That sounds like a product of the disconnect process. Can we try the disconnect and logoff option when not using the VM and see if that works? The TS ports are created upon the printer redirection process which should take place when you login via the remote desktop. I'm thinking that a fresh login instead of the reconnection of an existing logon will help this problem.

0 Kudos
david33040
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My bad.... the ports seem to be irrelevant. I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it (after removing the virtual drivers) and now everything works regardless of how they disconnect or what not.

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos