VMware Horizon Community
jwunderwaldt
Contributor
Contributor

Local Printing problems under Horizon View Client for Mac OS X

Hello,

I have problems with local printing under Mac OS X.

My virtual desktop is a windows 7 machine. Under Mac OS X i have a Canon MG 5350 connected via IJ Network.

Printing under Mac OS X is fine.

The printer is automatically created when I connect to the desktop. The problem is that the printout form the virtual desktop

is printed in the upper left corner of the page (minimized, 2 times smaller than normal output).

Can someone help me regarding this issue?

Is there a possibility to have another printer-driver associated with the created printer?

Thank you for help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sure, you can choose another printer driver from client side, which will be reflected in the remote desktop printer objects.

For Mac OS X 10.7.*, go to System Preferences->Printers->Options & Supplies->Driver, you can choose which printer driver to use.

For Mac OS X 10.8.*, you have to remove the printer and re-add it since the printer driver is available for choosing during setup. You will find "Use:" to choose the driver after clicking "+" to add the printer.

If you still find the printing in the upper left corner issue, but don't hit it while printing from client directly, you can file a bug to us with the collected thinprint log by tool http://www.thinprint.com/tpdu.aspx

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
acap86
Contributor
Contributor

jwunderwaldt — I am seeing this issue more and more in my environment with people who are using Canon printers on Mac with VMware Horizon View Client v2.1. We do not see this issue when using the RDP protocol with VMware View only PCOIP. The only way I have been resolving this for my users is installing Gutenprint drivers. I have researched this issue before and so many people experience similar results (outside of VDI) with Canon printers on Macs and even refer to it as the '1/4 page syndrome.' It seems to be a driver issue even though it started when we had our users upgrade to the new client and use PCoIP. You can download the 'GIMP' drivers as an alternative to Canon's proprietary Mac drivers from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php. Before installing the printer driver PDF documents would also spool well over 100MB for one page. Now printing with these drivers is instant, but I noticed pdfs that contain images must be printed as such.

VictoriaZheng — I will see if I can run the tool from the thinprint.com website and report the bug in hopes that this can be resolved in later versions of VMware Horizon View for Mac.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What's the agent build are you using? I downloaded the 'GIMP' drivers as you provided, but they are not suitable for my Canon MX328 printer.

Yes, if you can't printer well against specific driver, that is more like the agent virtual printer driver issue. Just file a bug. Thanks.

0 Kudos
acap86
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it doesn't look like your printer is listed, but the OP's Canon MG 5350 works with these drivers. We are using Agent v5.1.3. How do I file a bug?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Could you please provide following info? I can help file the bug then.

- Printer driver & version

- View client and agent build

- Client and agent os

- Thinprint logs (using tool http://www.thinprint.com/tpdu.aspx)

- Save of printer preview

- Scan of print output

- Pause the job during printing, copy the two files(*.shd, *.spl) from agent %systemroot%\System32\spool\PRINTERS

- Right click the redirected printer in agent, open "Printer properties -> Ports -> Add Port", add a new port of type local port, the port name should be a local path such as d:\tp.spl, apply and connect the virtual printer to this port. Then print a document(don't stop the job, just let it resumed), copy the print job file d:\tp.spl.

- Cups version

- Any specific print app used (wordpad, browser, ms word, etc)

For the logs and copies, you can attach it here by "use advanced editor". Thanks.

0 Kudos