VMware Horizon Community
Tim8
Contributor
Contributor

Local Printers copying into the Virtual Environment how do I stop this?

I have a lot of users with laptops. There printers are installed via a script to the printer server based on security permissions. The problem that I am having is when the users log into their virtual desktop from laptop/fat client it maps the local printers or the machine as well the script is run again.

When they try to print to the printers that are mapped via the local machine the jobs fail. But when the print to the newly mapped printers on the virtual machine they work. What I want to do is stop the local machine printers from mapping to the virtual desktop, I really need them to be completely separate depending on what the end user is doing.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I really need them to be completely separate depending on what the end user is doing.

Is this remote desktop in Windows? That's a remote desktop setting, not a Virtual Setting.

Tim8
Contributor
Contributor

They are logged into there fat client on the local domain, laptops can be obviously logged in outside of domain using the cached profile.. they are logging into the vmware view client which majority use PCoIP and the occasionally user using Windows RDP

0 Kudos
Tim8
Contributor
Contributor

Nevermind only took 4 hours of digging but found a KB in regards to this. There is a registry fix for it:

The duplicate printer appears because RDP printer redirection is enabled while USB redirection is enabled in the Virtual Desktop Manager Client.

RDP presents the printer through the printer redirection feature at the same time the USB device is presented by Virtual Desktop Manager to the virtual desktop.

To correct this issue, disable RDP printer redirection using either a registry key or a policy:

Modify the following registry key:

HKCU\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Client\RDP Settings\RedirectPrinters.

Set the value to false .

Set the policy Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Redirect printers. For more information, see Printer Redirection.

For more information, see VDM Installation and Administration Guide, Appendices A and B.

Acutally link to the KB:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100378...

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

You can also do this through GPOs (as well as tons of other neat settings). Lots more details available in the Windows XP Deployment Guide.

Good luck!

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos