VMware Horizon Community
mclark
Expert
Expert

Local CD access in View

I've searched the forums but am coming up empty on this question.

We have started testing a View 4 deployment, and I have a Windows XP virtual desktop. When I put a CD in the local CD-ROM drive, it is not accessible in the VM. I have tried both the PCoIP and RDP protocols. The View VM is set to "Passthrough IDE". I checked the VMware Tools settings in the Control Panel, and I noticed that the device "IDE 1:0" in the Devices tab does not have a checkmark in it, which I thought might be an issue. However, when I check the box for IDE 1:0 and click Apply it says "Could not connect to device". What do I need to do to get the local CD accessible in the VM?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rosspcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try removing the CDrom device and adding it back, do you know what the CDROM is on your ESX host, RDP dose support device rediretion but that would be the CDROM of the workstation you are launching the connection from.

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

That's what I want - the CD that is in the drive of the local computer the VDI connection is coming from. I don't need a CD from the server. Are you suggesting I remove the CDROM device from within the Windows VM?

0 Kudos
rosspcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try both, remove the cd rom from device manager then do a rescan and see if it picks up the CD, if it does not then you need to remove from the VM config and then add it back

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

I put in a call with VMware tech support. The local CD worked in the View session using the View client on a regular Windows desktop using RDP. It did not work with PCoIP (as I knew). It did not work using VDI Blaster as a "thin client" on a regular PC. FYI.

0 Kudos
mholgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I was just about to call support when I saw your post.

So, did support mention whether or not this is a known issue and will be addressed soon?

Are there any other workarounds besides using the RDP protocol?

Mike... VM, virtually!!

Mike... VM, Virtually!!
0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

Hi. He suggested calling VMware and putting in an enhancement request for this. I'm not sure if it could be done online or not, but I would think so. He also said we could try to get in on the beta of the next version of View. I'm not sure if that means that the next version will support this, or if by getting in on the beta we would have more of a voice to ask for it.

He also said that a USB CD drive was an option with PCoIP. It's just the built-in CD-ROM drives that are not supported yet

0 Kudos
mholgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the information. The lack of this feature will postpone the implementaion of View for our environment. I did send a feature request to VMWare and will urge others to do the same. I am providing the link below:

Mike... VM, Virtually!!

Mike... VM, Virtually!!
0 Kudos